• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion Squeal, I need the well versed on this one.

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
I had another thread started on this thinking it was brakes, however this does not seem to be the case so I've refined this issue to a modified gear topic. I've re-posted here for more critical input on the situation. This type of work is not cheap, and I need to know that I'm going about fixing this the right way. Thank you in advance for your help.

99, 4.56, np242/auto, hp30-open, 33s, 213,756
hey all,

the situation boils down as such,

Ive been trying to find a front end squeal for a month now. For a long while I thought it was brake related because its the only thing that wasnt as new as the rest of the moving parts.

Brakes: installed myselft, napa composite rotor, Hawk HSE pads, 3 years old all in good condition. I greased the slides and thought this solved the issue for a day, nope.

Gears: USA standard 4.56 and USA master install kit from RWK,- 22,300 miles on them, professional 4x4 shop installed .007 backlash, bearing preload 15ftlbs. ring gear 55lbs, bearing caps 60flbs, under 1.1 year old, Pinion seems like where the whine/squeal is coming from- 10 mph or under, .5-1mm side/side up/down play, 1mm in/out maybe, its still very solid feeling. diff fluid was changed at the advised 500 mile break in period and checked every 10,000 by myself, the level is still good. the noise is very high pitched, similar to brakes, and while braking it will change rpm almost to a skip/chirp, but I do not believe the brakes are this issue still- idk know how to 100% rule these out other than somehow removing and capping lines.

Hubs: installed myself, all torqued properly, 3 month old timken, very confident these are not making this noise

-just removed front DS because of vibes, slip joint wiggled at 70 mph, need new shaft likely

- ill be contacting the 4x4 shop tomorrow just to pick their brain.

ive only been able to replicate this noise once by jacking up a tire and spinning it today. Normally this sound is only at low speed, fairly consistent, but not 100% of the time, sometimes is takes turning a bit to put load onto something to squeak no matter right or left, nor does it squeal always while turning. It will not make this sound driving in reverse and it does still make the noise with the DS removed.

If a pinion bearing is the culprit, which one is likely bad (inner/outer) and how will a shop check? How can I check?
I worry about bringing it in and being told its bad even, if it isnt just so they could charge- ide like to think not, but its why other than this I never let shops "fix" my vehicle anymore.
I also worry that if I was to check everything myself, they would know its new diff oil and not stand behind their work blaming me for tampering, easily done. Dont get me wrong, these guys were very thorough on a complete inspection of the vehicle which is standard for them, they nailed many other unrelated issues upon inspection.

If it is the pinion, I believe the DS played a rolln in damaging it, not the shop, but I dont know enough to be sure. Youtube hasnt provided any replication of this noise for bearing related noises.
I feel like im up S__T creek on this one.

Lastly, if a pinion bearing is bad, how will this progress as its driven, its my only wheels DD?

Thank you immensely for your input!

~Matt

Last edited:
Driveshaft vibe can definitely kill bearings too. It needs to be torn down to see what happened. There's no way to tell for sure what bearing is bad without tear down. 1mm is a lot of play. If you keep driving it will get worse and could ruin the ring and pinion .

Thus far no noise, shoot. I did find another issue being a lower driver side brake caliper bolt seems to have stripped, looks like ill be visiting the JY. I did a slow test drive because it does thread, but doesnt hold tight. I didnt hear any noises so I think Im still on track with Trippled's advice.

Are bearing install kits universal or are they per ratio? I suspect Ill be buying more to resolve this issue, Im open to recommendations.

I would like to pull the cover next weekend, is there anything I can try to visually diagnose to see if the ring/pinion are ok?

If the pinion bearings are gone will I need another master install kit for carrier shims, or should these be fine?

thanks for your help guys, this really sucks.

Last edited:
You can get just a bearing kit and I should have more than enough extra shims left over from other kits to make the adjustments. We're only talking pinion bearing preload for adjustment, everything else should be fine assuming it was set up correctly.

I agree, if your driveshaft was shot and causing vibes that will put extra stress on the pinion bearings and could lead to a premature failure. You should still talk to the shop that originally did the work though, maybe they'll hook you up in the interest of good customer service.

So I contacted the shop that did the install. They will look over the axle this next monday- tuesday and have it back to me tuesday night.

If they find something that isnt install related then the cost is on me, If they find something that is related to their work then they will fix it accordingly.

Dutch are there bearing kits for just the pinion or will I need another master install kit, if they don't find something They have to fix?

Last edited:
You can buy the bearings individually from NAPA, or it’s a complete bearing kit. Still significantly cheaper than a master install kit.

Buying individual parts from NAPA would get expensive in a hurry, I would not even look at it except as a last resort. A USA Standard master install or bearing kit would probably be the most cost effective way to go. You'll need bearings, pinion seal, nut, and washer. USA Standard uses Koyo bearings which are just fine. No need to pay extra for the Yukon kits that use Timken. If you bought the factory replacements from Spicer, they would be a mix of Timken, NTN, or Koyo.

Go Timken, stay away from the rest as much as possible!

Buying individual parts from NAPA would get expensive in a hurry, I would not even look at it except as a last resort. A USA Standard master install or bearing kit would probably be the most cost effective way to go. You'll need bearings, pinion seal, nut, and washer. USA Standard uses Koyo bearings which are just fine. No need to pay extra for the Yukon kits that use Timken. If you bought the factory replacements from Spicer, they would be a mix of Timken, NTN, or Koyo.

Just pinion bearings or carrier to? I've been scouring online to not get a master install kit. A company had Revolution with out carrier bearings for 85$. Ide have to price check napa vs usa.

much appreciated chickenbot,

it looks they are probably the same kit as the spicer:

https://www.morris4x4center.com/spicer-front-axle-master-overhaul-kit-dana-30-spc-2017371.html

at least as i understand Spicer=timken for diff bearings.

Napa might exceed that if I buy everything individually. online descriptions for bearings limited on where they actually go:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/searc...199900+2819818&isApplication=true&indices=API

ill keep digging to see if anything else good will pop up

Pulled the trigger on install kit, much appreciated find trippled, thank you.

She's into the shop tomorrow for them to check their work. Tuesday eve I should have them reporting back, I'll keep updates posted.

6yf8nIS.png
[/IMG]

22JGIN6.png

Back