• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank vent valves & routing question for carb'd XJ tank - any help?

JrTxJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
I'm going to be using a tank from a carbureted 80's XJ (20 gallon) in another project vehicle and have some questions about all the hook ups. I am trying to locate a sending unit, which surprisingly aren't too expensive from the dealers ~$70, but I'm also trying to figure out what to do about those vent valves.

They are only $7 each at the dealer, but I'm a little confused what hooks up to them and where they go. Do these simply have a hose & breather hooked up to them, or do they route to a charcoal canister or something?

This is all going to be hooked up to an AMC 360, but this is my first time swapping in a different fuel tank.

Any insight or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Well if I were you I wouldn't worry about the charcoal canister. you could block off the vent tubes and get a vented cap for it.

I have a canister in the engine bay now, but who knows if it's hooked up. I will look into that soon...but figured if it's there, maybe just tap into its hoses.

Any suggestions on the vented cap? I'm not exactly clear on what to use since it's fuel.

Back