NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 11th, 2010, 18:00
Piece of Fish!

Re: simple dual-electric fan setup

You should make a few "kits" and sell them. (=
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old June 11th, 2011, 16:28
On a Time Out

this should be a sticky

just a few things I found at the bone yard today

1.) 3rd 4th AND 5th GEN Taurus 3.0 fans are the same (I used the fan from a 2004 with 26k miles on it)

2.) Volvo 900 and Volvo 9000 have a thermoswitch housing , similar to the one you made, also they have a BOSCHE 92c thermoswitch in the radiator...
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:28
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the writeup and information....
I am in the process of acquiring parts for the conversion.
Spent some time searching thru the JYs and Ebay and decided the price they were charging for a used fan assembly wasn't worth the trouble so I purchased a new one from RockAuto for $48.79 with a Lifetime warranty.
The left fan assembly is from a 2003 Taurus 3.0L (Rock Auto PN 600310).
Old June 12th, 2011, 13:32
NAXJA Member

I got a PM asking if I was still happy and here is the reply

I'm still happy with it. There are some times when it struggles a little but it hasn't let me down yet. In 100 degree heat the gauge will rise to 215 (a little above the middle mark) but if it ever goes to 220 the condenser fan kicks in and the temp falls rapidly. If the A/C is on then the condenser adds to the engine heat so I suspect that one day I will need to turn the A/C off to keep the temperature under control but it hasn't happened yet. One thing I'm dealing with now is that if something causes voltage to drop (alternator or battery starts fading for example) then the electric fan spins slower which reduces the ability to cool.

A slightly larger and faster fan would probably do a better job. This one has been fine for me but its a little touchy and I'm not sure it would hold up to desert running
Old June 12th, 2011, 16:58
On a Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Spent some time searching thru the JYs and Ebay and decided the price they were charging for a used fan assembly wasn't worth the trouble so I purchased a new one from RockAuto for $48.79 with a Lifetime warranty.
yeah, only problem with that is that it will NOT be an OEM part... and as such it might not perform as well as the original, and might not last as long

either way you have to drill holes in the fan to mount it, SO there goes your warranty

further more the OEM fan has a Bosch motor powering the fan... the after market will not

I hope it works well for you
Old June 12th, 2011, 17:05
On a Time Out

it may not be the best setup BUT it sure beats the OEM setup

I mean when I used the OEM clutch fan my XJ NEVER went below 210, and if I sat with the A/C on it would start to creep up... then I would have to open the hood

each system has it's draw backs...

I think it might be a good idea to tie the OEM A/C fan into this setup?

maybe couple this with a 180 thermostat?
Old June 12th, 2011, 22:58
NAXJA Forum User

Only way I would want to buy a new OEM fan for this conversion is if it was the one made by motorcraft not by dorman or one of the aftermarket companies. If you look at the big taurus fan that most swap its over $300 bones for a new motorcraft one, dorman is like $90...... somethings a little off here.

I plan on a swap using a DCC controller and mayb a large taurus fan but yours seems a bit easier to fit compared to the huge taurus fan. I have a CSF 3 core radiator also which i believe might make it harder to fit that large fan without moving the radiator posts forward. How much distance is between the nearest pully and the efan?
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:19
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfx1984 View Post
yeah, only problem with that is that it will NOT be an OEM part... and as such it might not perform as well as the original, and might not last as long

either way you have to drill holes in the fan to mount it, SO there goes your warranty

further more the OEM fan has a Bosch motor powering the fan... the after market will not

I hope it works well for you
The additional electric fan is a great alternative to the mechanical fan, but the project will be on hold until I can do some more parts research....
Old June 13th, 2011, 20:46
On a Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGarfX View Post
How much distance is between the nearest pully and the efan?

tons... I can take pics in the morning
Old October 12th, 2011, 11:18
NAXJA Forum User

I finished my install...

Running an OEM Toyota Corolla relay box through a BMW coolant switch so it's fully autonomous. I got the idea from a Toyota site, using a factory 4-Runner aux cooling fan relay box (uses slip brackets on the factory fuse box) I went with the Corolla because there were many more in the yard, and it housed 3 relays and a fuse assembly, not the 2 + fuse in the 4-Runner box... and the Corolla uses bolts to mount it.

The Corolla box has provision for 1x SPDT or DPST (5-pin Bosch style) and 2x SPST relays (just like a standard SPDT relay but without the center 87a blade). Toyota uses propitiatory SPST relays that have a large square plastic center "pin" to mate to the box. Other than that pin, the blades are in the same pattern as a standard Bosch unit. I chose to use the Toyota units because a handful tossed in the tool box at the JY cost me nothing. IF you would like to convert this box to use Bosch style in those positions, simply find yourself two more Corolla's, pull the 5-pin relay out, reach in with your needle-nosed pliers and pull out the yellow plastic spacer. Use these spacers in place of the propitiatory ones in your box. The two SPST slots are missing a provision for the center blade, so you would have to run the SPDT Bosch relay in a SPST format.... but they will fit, and will function.

I fabricated a small aluminum bracket which mounts the box to the two-hole tab between the XJ fuse/relay box and coolant overflow.

In the box below I have, from left to right... Bosch DPST actuating my HID Hella 500's, OEM Toyota SPST actuating my Taurus fan, spare OEM Toyota SPST (can be wired when I have something to wire to it), 30a fuse assembly which isolates both fan and light circuits. 12v power has been run directly to the (+) post on the front of the XJ fuse/relay box, with individual grounds run through ring terminals to factory grounding points.

I took a 1/4FPT to 3/8MPT adapter, gigged it into my drill press, and ran a 1/2" bit through, just knocking the female threads out of it. I then ran my trusty 14x1.5 tap through the smoothed opening, and mounted my BMW switch there. Only the slightest amount of material was removed during the process, but I will keep an eye for cracks. There is 100% thread engagement on the temp switch, and I used a brass washer, not the aluminum that came with the sensor. I then used 3/8npt fittings from the hardware store to plumb it all into the coolant track. All junctions were sealed with T-tape, but I may adjust locations if this doesn't work well.

I found that by running a charge through both (+) leads on the fan allowed it to spin just a bit faster, so I ran 10ga wire to the fan, where it split to 2x14ga at the pigtail I took out of the donor car.

Here is the clearance with the YJ bracket. Since there is no longer the XJ cooling fan pully there, I have plenty of room with this install.

One word of advice...

When locating your hole locations for the SS spacers, remember to leave excess room between the shroud and the fan itself. My first attempt caused rubbing, and I had to start from scratch.

Thanks again to the OP for the GREAT idea, I will be doing another set-up in the next few weeks on a friend's XJ.

Last edited by Corprin; October 12th, 2011 at 11:21.
Old June 26th, 2020, 14:28
NAXJA Forum User

EHALL sorry to revive such and old thread but can you explain what was bad about the other switches you tried before settling on the BMW on? I can find tons of temp sending unit/fan switch premade enclosures but not a single one with a thread pitch to match the BMW one. Think about finding one with similar specs.