NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 28th, 2020, 07:17
Degenerate Jeeper

Re: CB Radio in the XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCat63 View Post
This is what I did for my 99. This setup will work for 97 and up XJ's. I used a Metra double din trim kit for an XJ. They just came out with it. About $60.00 online. CB World makes a single din kit for some CB's. I used a Uniden Pro520XL radio, but I'm sure you could use others. Anyway, I basically stacked 2 single din units together to make this work. I had to fab some brackets, and it takes a little work, but it comes out nice. I did the same setup on my 97, but I modified the existing trim piece. It is alot easier using the Metra kit. Got my stereo and trim kit from Crutchfield, and my CB from CB world.

I mounted an external speaker on the firewall tucked above the pedals on the drivers side. Plenty loud enough to hear on the trail.

Single din for CB's.
https://www.wearecb.com/dinxxxx-in-d...nts-18057.html
I really like that setup and am now seriously thinking about copying it and ditching the low-watt Baofeng for use while driving. I looked at the Metra 956554B trim kit though and really don’t understand what it does or why it’s needed. It just looks like a factory trim bezel to me. (Here’s a link. https://www.directdepot.net/product-...-model/956554B.). Can you explain? Thanks.
Old June 28th, 2020, 07:27
Degenerate Jeeper

On closer inspection, I think I figured it out. The opening for the radio on the Metra trim panel is wider top to bottom than the stock panel. Right.?
Old June 28th, 2020, 14:09
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
On closer inspection, I think I figured it out. The opening for the radio on the Metra trim panel is wider top to bottom than the stock panel. Right.?
Yes, it's just a trim panel with a wider opening for the double din. You can modify the stock one, (what I did on my 97), but for about $60.00, it's much cleaner and easier.

I can pop off the trim and see if I can take some pictures of the inside to see how it all fit. I'll post some more pictures in a bit.
Old June 28th, 2020, 14:31
NAXJA Member

The Metra kit comes with 2 plastic brackets, one for each side. I used those and 2 single din sleeves. Screwed it all together. On my 97, I made the 2 side brackets out of sheet metal. You could make some instead of using the plastic ones, but they seemed to be strong enough.

You have to trim a bit of the ABS vent system on the left side and cover it with foil tape. Not much trimming and easy to do. You can just see the foil in the second picture.

The CB adapter sleeve comes with some metal brackets and the faceplate. I didn't use any other trim pieces on the front. It's just the radio and the CB trim. With a little creativity, it wasn't too hard and came out really clean.

Old June 28th, 2020, 14:33
NAXJA Member

More pictures.

Old June 28th, 2020, 14:36
NAXJA Member

Here's the two different trims. The Metra is on the left, stock is on the right. You just have to swap in your vents.

Old June 28th, 2020, 16:25
Degenerate Jeeper

Thank you very much!