NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 26th, 2020, 08:58
NAXJA Forum User

Machining OEM wheels

I would like to add manually locking hubs to my XJ, but I really don't want to give up my stock wheels. The hub diameter is larger than the stock center hole. Does anyone done or heard of doing this?
Old June 26th, 2020, 09:05
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: Machining OEM wheels

What hole is required ? Is there sufficient materiel in the area ? What finish are you going to use on the raw aluminium ?

Most people that install locking hubs install aftermarket rims with more offset and rim width than stock.

Wondering why you want locking hubs ? They would be nice to have, but I can never justify their cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

People are dumbfounded when I tell them I know how to change the spark plugs on a car.
Old June 26th, 2020, 09:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
What hole is required ? Is there sufficient materiel in the area ? What finish are you going to use on the raw aluminium ?

Most people that install locking hubs install aftermarket rims with more offset and rim width than stock.

Wondering why you want locking hubs ? They would be nice to have, but I can never justify their cost.
Regarding why I want them - I use my XJ for camping and the noise reduction of shutting off the front end is worth it for the hours I spend on the highway. I've got an Ox in the rear, and would also like an auto locker in front...turning that off on the road would be nice, too.
Old June 26th, 2020, 09:20
NAXJA Forum User

If you have noise coming from your front axle I think I would look into fixing the issue before spending a ton on hub kits!
Old June 26th, 2020, 09:53
NAXJA Member

Wheels aren't hub centric so as long as you have enough meat left over should be okay. What axle do you have? If D30 have you priced out hub kits yet? If not be sure you're sitting down first.
Old June 26th, 2020, 11:49
NAXJA Forum User

I haven't follow the kits in years, there was only Warn and Mliemarker back then, but unless somebody discovered a new way of doing it they were all pretty much junk!
Old June 26th, 2020, 12:46
NAXJA Member

If you put an autolocker in the front it will remain unlocked when in 2wd just as if you had unlocked the hubs. I've run front locked rear open on my last 3 XJs.

If you have a bunch of noise coming from the front end when going down the road you've got some other underlying issue going on.

I'd much rather have our hub setup than a manual one myself. Less parts to fail and all I do is pull the lever and I'm in 4wd, no need to get out and jack with hubs.

1000+ dollars buys a lot of gas.
Old June 26th, 2020, 16:24
Freakish Hand Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
Regarding why I want them - I use my XJ for camping and the noise reduction of shutting off the front end is worth it for the hours I spend on the highway. I've got an Ox in the rear, and would also like an auto locker in front...turning that off on the road would be nice, too.
I have 3 XJ's and never notice front differential noises that are louder than tire noises.

I have front and rear auto-lockers in the 2000 and have never had any issues maneuvering on the 4x4 trails, but it does have some very annoying and borderline unsafe locker behaviors when driven on icy/snowy pavement. I drive 1,200 miles to Moab and 1,200 back home every few years, no problem.

For a Daily Driver 4x4 or overlanding I would recommend a TrueTrac Limited Slip for the front axle. One of the guys in my local Jeep club has TrueTracs front and rear in his TJ and never has problems following the locked Jeeps.

Last I looked D30 locking hub kits were +$1,500, but if they are going to float your boat, go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

People are dumbfounded when I tell them I know how to change the spark plugs on a car.

Last edited by Tim_MN; June 28th, 2020 at 10:28.
Old June 28th, 2020, 06:48
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks everyone. Noise isn’t anything damaged - I’ve had the diffs opened, regeared, new shafts, etc. - I’m just really particular. I had a CJ7 with manual hubs and always liked the noise reduction I got when unlocked. Made for a noticeably quieter ride. Good points about lockers, I had a brain fart there!