NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 26th, 2020, 15:03
NAXJA Forum User

Guy welding 8.8 for me - can I determine correct angles without the XJ?

Hey all - the guy that's regearing an 8.8 for me is also going to weld on the new spring perches and shock mounts. He says all he needs to know where to put them is the old 8.25, so my plan was to pull it out of the XJ and bring both rears to him.

BUT

The XJ's been lifted 6.5", now has an SYE, and will have an 8.8 instead of an 8.25, so the angle needs to be a lot different than stock. Is there ANY way for me to figure out what angle he should weld everything at without him actually having the XJ there and basically installing the 8.8? I can always have him just weld them at stock angles and use shims but it would be great if I could tell him what angles to weld everything and I wouldn't need shims. But I can't figure out any way to determine the correct angles without actually installing the 8.8 - and I haven't figured out all the brake stuff yet with the new rear being discs, etc., so it doesn't really make sense for me to drive the jeep to him, and then he'd charge me a bunch of labor for dropping the 8.25/putting in the 8.8 which I was going to do anyway, not to mention that I'd have no rear brakes for the ride home and I'd have to figure out how to plug the rear lines up so even the FRONTS would work correctly.

Maybe there's an approximate angle he could weld them on at so at least I wouldn't need really big shims?

Sure appreciate the help!
Old June 26th, 2020, 15:16
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Guy welding 8.8 for me - can I determine correct angles without the XJ?

Not really, but it would be in your best interest to do it right the first time.
Old June 26th, 2020, 15:19
NAXJA Forum User

BTW, why are you swapping axles? There really isn't a benefit to the 8.8 unless yours is a 27 spline, but that's easily changed.
Old June 26th, 2020, 15:37
NAXJA Forum User

Not a bad question - this is my first XJ and I just got it, and unfortunately I'm finding that POs cut a LOT of corners wherever they could. It's got a ton of miles but it's really in good shape, so I'm wanting to build it ONCE and do it right. 8.25 is a lot better than the d35 but it's stock with 3.07s since it's an AX15, so I've got to regear anyway, and figured why not spend $150 for a junkyard 8.8 to get an even stronger rear that's got discs on it.

Yeah, I know it would be best to do it right the first time, but short of paying him to do the entire swap (which I don't even know that he'd be willing to do), I just can't figure out a way to do it. I don't even have a new rear driveshaft yet because I don't know how long it will be - was just going to measure once I got the 8.8 in.

Is there some way I can figure this out that I'm not thinking of yet?
Old June 26th, 2020, 16:09
NAXJA Forum User

If your re-gearing to 3.07 you making another mistake, disc's for the 8.25 are a dime a dozen right now.
Old June 26th, 2020, 16:15
NAXJA Forum User

No, I'm regearing from 3.07 to 4.88 - 3.07s on 35s is NOT fun with an AX15, let me tell you!!
Old June 26th, 2020, 21:43
NAXJA Forum User

I know IRO says pinion at 10degrees. Perched at 0 and face of shock mount at 90.

I did mine at 12degree pinion.
Old June 27th, 2020, 07:34
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks, shinny - any idea why yours needed to be at 12 vs 10? What setup you running?