NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 15:49
NAXJA Forum User

Auto to manual Swap

Has anyone ever tried to do it I have a 91 with a blown motor and a 95 with good motor but bad trans.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 15:58
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Auto to manual Swap

You'll pretty much want a parts vehicle to get the parts you'll need for the swap. Need to fabricate/ect.

If your asking about this.......I doubt you'd be able to do it, just go buy an XJ with a manual transmission......not like XJ's cost that much.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 16:45
NAXJA Forum User

you could just put the motor from the 95 into the 91. it will be easier than swapping the trans. Unless you just want a 5 speed. It can be done, but you do have to swap everything, including the pedal assembly.

GroveCDN: I hope you never have to ask for help, because obviously if you ask if a mod has been done or for any tips, by your logic you must be incapable of doing it and should just go buy a bought rig...

Last edited by wolfpackjeeper; June 2nd, 2009 at 16:59.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 16:49
NAXJA Forum User

After thinking about it I think wolfpack is right. I think swapping the motor woul be a better idea as well. Of course it would be into an older rig which we have NO idea of the condition of either. Maybe some more info about the Jeeps would help us help him.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 21:17
NAXJA Forum User

nevermind I decided to fix and keep both the 91 as a trail rig and the other as a dd. I found a 94 xj that has been rolled for parts. bodies trashed but it still runs and lot drives.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 21:20
NAXJA Forum User

I have looked into swapping my 97 aw4 to an AX15, and it really isn't bad at all. If you have a donor vehicle, even better. Everything is essentially bolt in. You have to drill 3 holes for the clutch master cylinder on the firewall - which the factory has kindly marked with a centerpunch. You will also have to shorten your input shaft on the trans about an inch. That's about the "hardest" part, it's extremely straightforward.