• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If I can fit a ZJ fuel tank, anyone can (lots of accesssories)

jeepingben

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished installing a larger capacity ZJ tank on my '98 and thought people might be interested to know there is nothing preventing a ZJ tank from fitting with a Tailbone, Hidden Hitch, Ruffstuff diff cover, Rusty's gas-tank skid, and air-line for the ARB locker.

Full size pics here: http://www.jeepingben.net/zen/zenphoto/index.php?album=2016/ZJ tank in XJ

The differences between the tanks are subtle, but the ZJ tank is definitely wider.
DSCF2033_595.jpg

DSCF2034_595.jpg

I didn't expect any trouble with the gas tank skid since the part-numbers for the XJ and ZJ skids suggest they are almost the same part.
DSCF2038_595.jpg

I was interested in extending the breather of the tank. My goal was to fit 25 gallons (ZJ tank capacity is 23 gallons). I know some people fit 25 gallons in the XJ tank, but that leaves no headspace at all.
DSCF2037_595.jpg

Here is what the filler looks like from the inside. There is an anti siphon/rollover valve on the filler and a slight downward turn on the vent.

I bought a piece of soft 5/8" copper refrigeration tubing to use as the extension. After running a 9/16 drill through the vent to cut of the down-turn, I used a 5/8 ream that I had from another project to open the vent just enough to let the tube slide in.
DSCF2044_595.jpg

I carefully bent the tube, avoiding kinking by putting a rubber hose inside the tube while bending. There are probably better ways to do it.
DSCF2045_595.jpg

The tube is fed from the inside of the tank (a mirror helps).
DSCF2049_595.jpg

I marked the length, removed the tube, and cut it. A notch on the inside of the plastic tube was added to help prevent the copper tube from rotating.

DSCF2048_595.jpg

The final rotation is a little higher than this, but not much.

The tubing is deformed to lock into the notch.
DSCF2050_595.jpg

The tank was reinstalled and I added 5L of fuel before driving a short distance to the gas station.
DSCF2052_595.jpg

DSCF2053_595.jpg

DSCF2055_595.jpg

Perfect! It is right at 25 gallons and I don't think it is likely to overflow even if I were to top it up and park immediately.

The skid is back on (sorry, no pics) and I should be able to enjoy the longer range without carrying the jerry can.

I think so.

Unless you can find a module with a return line. And you would still have a problem with the fuel gauge no working correctly.

'96 would work with the fuel lines, but the fuel gauge would not work correctly.

I came across this thread while searching for XJ fuel capacity increase options and I don't see any reference to which fuel pump was used with this tank swap.

The XJ and ZJ fuel pumps carry different part numbers, but as I plan on installing a new pump assembly at the same time as the ZJ tank swap, it would be great to know if the XJ pump will work in the ZJ tank with no issues, or if a ZJ pump is required.

I reused the pump that was in the XJ. I did notice that it said ZJ in the part number. This was almost certainly the original pump as the jeep only had 65k miles on it at the time.
publicpreview.php

I reused the pump that was in the XJ. I did notice that it said ZJ in the part number. This was almost certainly the original pump as the jeep only had 65k miles on it at the time.
publicpreview.php

Great, thanks! Looks like the BOSCH 67658 unit is the OEM 97-01 XJ fuel pump replacement.

93 to 98 ZJ gas tanks fit in the XJ. If you are obtaining tank like i did at my local JY, go ahead and grab a ZJ skid for the tank as well. They fit easily by redrilling the mounting points and possibly a slight cut if your XJ has a hitch receiver in the way.

Bosch XJ sending units are are no longer made for the 97 to 01 models. I saw one online recently but the seller wanted over $450.

I don't trust such a critical component from unknown manufacturers or made in China which are plentiful on eBay and elsewhere.

I ended up ordered a Delphi model #FG1076-11B1 for my 2000 XJ. I liked Delphi because this brand is used on Chrysler, Ford, and GMs from the manufacturer. It is available online and locally at carquest.

93 to 98 ZJ gas tanks fit in the XJ. If you are obtaining tank like i did at my local JY, go ahead and grab a ZJ skid for the tank as well. They fit easily by redrilling the mounting points and possibly a slight cut if your XJ has a hitch receiver in the way.

Bosch XJ sending units are are no longer made for the 97 to 01 models. I saw one online recently but the seller wanted over $450.

I don't trust such a critical component from unknown manufacturers or made in China which are plentiful on eBay and elsewhere.

I ended up ordered a Delphi model #FG1076-11B1 for my 2000 XJ. I liked Delphi because this brand is used on Chrysler, Ford, and GMs from the manufacturer. It is available online and locally at carquest.

Just so everybody understands, the ZJ conversion is "Only" for the +97 models!

I can confirm that the ZJ gas tank WILL NOT fit with the JCR XJ gas tank skid plate. I needed to swap out my fuel pump and decided to do the ZJ gas tank mod at the same time. The skid plate is too narrow and would have to be cut and welded back together to actually work. I ended up having to keep my XJ tank.

I can confirm that the ZJ gas tank WILL NOT fit with the JCR XJ gas tank skid plate. I needed to swap out my fuel pump and decided to do the ZJ gas tank mod at the same time. The skid plate is too narrow and would have to be cut and welded back together to actually work. I ended up having to keep my XJ tank.

Is it just the width or are there other areas that would have to be dealt with?

Back