• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

going through radiators

kendrick

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ with about 90K on it. I replaced the raditor about 30k ago after it started to leak. It was a small leak at one of the fittings that wasn't really repairable. Now the new radiator is starting to leak. Is anyone else having this problem or can suggest a good after market one.

Thanks,
Kendrick

Kendrick, did you get it from autozone? I forgot the name of the brand but it was something cheap, maybe this one? ( http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,01020/initialAction,partProductDetail/initialpartType,00172/initialR,APP327933/initialvehicleId,2382302/shopping/selectZip.htm )It'll leak from right below the radiator cap on this circular thing that looks like it can be adjusted, I remember tightening it up before and it stopped but when I was under the hood the other day i saw it leaking while the engine was running, just a few drips here and there.

I need to do a radiator/heat core flush this coming weekend so i might try some Prestone Radiator stop leak or something along those lines, perhaps that'll help.

I'm not sure where it came from, I had a shop put it in. I kind of assumed it was OEM, but that may not have been the case. Where you desribe sounds like where both of mine have started leaking though. I was avioding the radiator seal stuff because that will get all inside the passages in your block as well. Anyway, I've always heard to avoid using it.

I have used Radiator Express for the rad in my full size Cherokee, came with a lifetime warranty and was very inexpensive. For the XJ, they have a 2core and a 3 core... the 2 core is $120 and the 3 core is $207

BBeach said:
I need to do a radiator/heat core flush this coming weekend so i might try some Prestone Radiator stop leak or something along those lines, perhaps that'll help.

I would advise against stop leak. I've seen that crap do some bad bad stuff on other vehicles (like completely stop the entire cooling system, water pump and all).

I know you're gonna hate it, but spend the $$$ now and fix it right. Even if that means upgrading to a better quality radiator.

Its not losing much at all so I'll be fine putting in a little here and there. I'll pass on the stop leak after I googled about it and from recommendations here.

BBeach said:
I'll pass on the stop leak after I googled about it and from recommendations here.

Smart move. That stuff is a PAIN to get back out once it's done its damage too.

I don't have any problems with the AutoZone radiator pictured. Where is yours leaking?

Below the radiator cap is the upper trans cooler connection. Theres a fitting that screws into the radiator and then the cooler line attaches to the fitting. Make sure the fitting is tight first. When I installed the radiator I had a small trans fluid leak and then I figured out the fitting wasn't tight to the radiator, although the cooler line was tight to the fitting......

Is that what you're talking about, or, ?

Its a big circular plastic thing maybe 1 1/2 - 2" diameter. It looks like you can adjust it with a allen key which I did a while back but it still does it. Its not on the side of the radiator but rather it points towards the back of the vehicle.

I'll pitch in another vote for radiatorbarn.com. The CSF radiators are all metal (no crappy plastic tanks) and decent quality. They were very responsive to a pre-sale email question and shipped very quickly. I have not dealt with DPG, but I've heard plenty of good things about them as well.

I had a similar problem with a Canadian Tire rad, bought in summer cause the old one was looking worn and didn't want to have to do it in winter so installed with no problem for 6 months. December comes and there's a small leak at the same place it sounds like. It was a manufacturers plug that filled a hole that I guess they use the same pattern for several manufacturers so this plug looked like it was a screw in plug that was crazy glued in place. Any way thats where the leak came from. They were good in that they replaced the rad free(lifetime warr) and gave me, due to my bitchin', $50 gift certificate for rad fluid. No problems now, but pita!

Back