• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hole enlarging bits

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
What would you recommend?

I have a metal about 2 inches deep that have a 5/8" hole. I would like to make the hole about 11/16 inch. I do not like the idea of using a regular twist bit in a hand drill if something better is available.

A reamer in a mill would be better. And it is available for a price. But I think the price will tell you to go get your hand drill and twist bit.

A reamer in a mill would be better. And it is available for a price. But I think the price will tell you to go get your hand drill and twist bit.

I seem to remember a tool known as a reamer many years ago used when installing king pin bushings in those British solid axle vehicles back home. They were turned by hand.
I will try searching using 'Reamer'.

There probably are some that are designed to be turned by hand. Look for square drive shanks, much like a tap.

Reamers produce a nicer rounder hole than a twist drill.

Can you get to both sides with a hand-drill? Seems like a unibit (step drill) might work well, it does a dandy job enlarging holes on thinner stuff.

Probably depends on how long a unibit you can find...

Can you get to both sides with a hand-drill? Seems like a unibit (step drill) might work well, it does a dandy job enlarging holes on thinner stuff.

Probably depends on how long a unibit you can find...

It is more like a tube/pipe that is about 1.5 inches long. A step drill would not quite do the job.

The reamers I see online are quite expensive,...for most likely for a single use. Well, there are 4 holes,...that's it.

Price is indeed the issue with reamers.

The few I have were picked up at an industrial surplus shop.

They are a pleasure to use.

Use a 21/32 bit, then the 11/16 bit. Enlarging holes I also prefer to grind the bits to more of a point. A variable speed hand drill helps when you can't do it on a drill press.

Price is indeed the issue with reamers.

The few I have were picked up at an industrial surplus shop.

They are a pleasure to use.

Yes indeed, price was/is a a concern especially since it could be a one time use item. I spent several ours searching the web for a good price to no avail.

Use a 21/32 bit, then the 11/16 bit. Enlarging holes I also prefer to grind the bits to more of a point. A variable speed hand drill helps when you can't do it on a drill press.

I bought myself an 11/16th bit and went at it with a 1/2 inch hand drill, plenty of patience and plenty of lube. The results were better than I expected.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Back