• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cluster Swap

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to replace the gas & speed cluster in my 97 xj, for a full cluster from a 97-99 xj.

I'm having some issues getting the trim bezel off. Somebody told me you have to put the jeep in d, and remove the trim around the radio & temp controls. Then you can start to access the screws for the bezel.

Is that true? Is there an easier way?

I think your 97 is the same as my 2000. Center bezel (temp controls and radio area), and knee blocker need to come off before the instrument cluster bezel. Putting it in Drive is not required. If a tilt wheel, put in lowest position.

pull the radio bezel off and there is 4 screws behind it for the cluster bezel. after removing them pull the cluster bezel off and separate the rubber boot that goes around the steering column. you may need to remove the trim under the column.

Is there an easier way?

Do you have difficulty putting it in D? :)

Seriously, this is super easy to do. Grab the center bezel at the very bottom and pull it off. Then undo a few screws.

Compared to the 96 and before models, it's a piece of cake.

Just like these guys said, pull the radio bezel off and you should see some screws. Watch out for that annoying rubber boot thing that goes around the steering wheel. Then once you get in off, just throw in the new cluster and bolt it down. It just plugs right in. No temp sensor or oil sensor replacement needed.:yelclap:

Just like these guys said, pull the radio bezel off and you should see some screws. Watch out for that annoying rubber boot thing that goes around the steering wheel. Then once you get in off, just throw in the new cluster and bolt it down. It just plugs right in. No temp sensor or oil sensor replacement needed.:yelclap:

Thanks for the post. I managed to finally get the swap done about 2 weeks ago. Everything went perfectly, with the exception of the old cluster having the CEL burned out.

Seems the PO removed the cat and the rear O2 sensor. So now I'm throwing a code 21 (or 22) and looking to replace the cat and O2 sensor.

Back