NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 20th, 2019, 07:20
NAXJA Forum User

question regarding RC lift

I added a RC lift 3" to my 2000 XJ. The rear is over an inch higher than the front. I was told by RC that the the new leafs would settle in 10-14 days. Its been 6 weeks. Anyone have had this issue?

thanks
Old October 20th, 2019, 07:37
NAXJA Forum User

Re: question regarding RC lift

Yep, RC kits are very questionable!!!
Old October 20th, 2019, 08:20
Freakish Hand Strength

Did you torque the leaf spring bolts with the tires on flat ground ? What have you done to promote leaf spring break-in ? Ideally you would disconnect the sway bar if present, load up with several hundred pounds of cargo, and then flex the springs repeatedly over some obstacles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Old October 20th, 2019, 09:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
Did you torque the leaf spring bolts with the tires on flat ground ? What have you done to promote leaf spring break-in ? Ideally you would disconnect the sway bar if present, load up with several hundred pounds of cargo, and then flex the springs repeatedly over some obstacles.
Tim, i did tighten with tires on the ground. I did not however do any type of leaf break in. is that a normal process? I am new to this hobby
Old October 20th, 2019, 09:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Yep, RC kits are very questionable!!!
darn, thanks buddy
Old October 20th, 2019, 09:15
Freakish Hand Strength

RC isn't the best Cherokee lift kit available, but since you own it, give it a try.

New leaf springs can be stiff and can result in taller than expected lift. The break-in period can accelerated. A day on the 4x4 trails would be the ideal break in.

Quote:

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Old October 20th, 2019, 09:18
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
RC isn't the best Cherokee lift kit available, but since you own it, give it a try.

New leaf springs can be stiff and can result in taller than expected lift. The break-in period can accelerated. A day on the 4x4 trails would be the ideal break in.
thanks Tim, does the rear sway bar have any effect on the hight of the leafs? I am also running stock rear shackles.
Old October 20th, 2019, 15:21
Freakish Hand Strength

The sway bars will reduce flex on the 4x4 trails, lengthening the break-in period. Most people remove the rear sway bar when installing lift kit leaf springs. The shackles should be fine as is.

I should add that with a lifted Cherokee, the bump stops must be longer than stock, because over compressing leaf springs and/or bottoming out shocks is not good for them and can cause permanent damage.

Quote:

Quote:

Old October 20th, 2019, 19:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
The sway bars will reduce flex on the 4x4 trails, lengthening the break-in period. Most people remove the rear sway bar when installing lift kit leaf springs. The shackles should be fine as is.

I should add that with a lifted Cherokee, the bump stops must be longer than stock, because over compressing leaf springs and/or bottoming out shocks is not good for them and can cause permanent damage.
awesome info, thanks Tim
Old October 20th, 2019, 21:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

Tim, I live on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi. I will be doing tail riding/overnight camping with some light hills. We have generally flat ground. The norm around here is to go muddin. I will not be muddin. What can i do to a 2000 4.0L 3" RC lift kit 31"s, 231TC to improve performance? I plan on upgrading the steering with the ZJ V8 set up. Rear end is just a stock Dana 33. Looking for small upgrades that i would benefit from.

Thanks Buddy

I see you from the twin cities, I work for a large company based in the Twin Cities.
Old October 21st, 2019, 18:33
Freakish Hand Strength

The steering is fine as-is, the Dana 35 not so much. The Dana 35 is the least desirable XJ axle because it has the potential to snap axle shafts even with an open differential and small tires.

If you have all the necessary on trail repair tools, self-recovery gear, skid plates and tow hooks, commonly needed spare parts, extra fluids, survival gear and food, your best upgrade would be a much more durable 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 rear axle from a 97-01 XJ Cherokee. Swaybar disconnects are beneficial. If the budget allows, a LockRight type locker in the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle will add to the off-road capabilities of your XJ.

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by Tim_MN; October 21st, 2019 at 18:38.
Old October 21st, 2019, 19:25
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
The steering is fine as-is, the Dana 35 not so much. The Dana 35 is the least desirable XJ axle because it has the potential to snap axle shafts even with an open differential and small tires.

If you have all the necessary on trail repair tools, self-recovery gear, skid plates and tow hooks, commonly needed spare parts, extra fluids, survival gear and food, your best upgrade would be a much more durable 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 rear axle from a 97-01 XJ Cherokee. Swaybar disconnects are beneficial. If the budget allows, a LockRight type locker in the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle will add to the off-road capabilities of your XJ.
great info. How do i know what axles to look for. I have 3 XJs in the bone yard around the corner.

thanks a bunch
Old October 21st, 2019, 19:32
NAXJA Forum User

sorry just realized I have a 8.25 in my 2000
Old October 22nd, 2019, 04:44
Freakish Hand Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStYat View Post
… just realized I have a 8.25 in my 2000

Quote:

Quote:

Old October 22nd, 2019, 20:52
NAXJA Member

i honestly prefer the raked setup look... im running RE 3.5in with shackle relocater and IRO shackles with front 3.5in springs and a 2 in spacer.