NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 15th, 2013, 23:20
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos
Re: For those wanting a complete WJ knuckle swap parts list

Yes, you will need new unit bearings, unfortunately. The 99.5 and later XJ bearings (same as the wrangler ones) have some different offsets from mounting faces to various other surfaces and are required to get the kingpin axis (that's the term, even on a balljoint axle... afaik) to line up with the center of the ujoint.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old January 16th, 2013, 09:44
NAXJA Member

I used 2001 tj timken hub/unit bearing assembly. work great.

1998 4.6 stroker , aw4 XJ on 60/14b , 5.38s, grizzly/detroit, cage, 40s, psc big bore box , assist, 3 link,transgo aw4 reprogram
Old February 2nd, 2013, 20:29
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ jay View Post
That's a grate price Frank, the mood replacements for my XJ ran me $320 through one of my jobber parts suppliers.
you realize the Moog ones are available at local parts places and rockauto.com for less than $200 for all 4?
Old February 2nd, 2013, 21:09
NAXJA Forum User

not to Canada they aren't.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:41
NAXJA Forum User

For those wanting a complete WJ knuckle swap parts list

Moogs are junk. I just replaced my uppers. They had less than 6000 miles on them they are outsourced from china now.
Old September 5th, 2013, 09:32
NAXJA Forum User

4wd hardware sells the Dana/Spicer ball joints for $55 per side these are pretty decent and that's a good price
Old April 8th, 2014, 22:10
NAXJA Forum User

I'm a newbie, so if this post is in the wrong place I would like to apologize in advance. I have been researching this XJ to WJ upgrade for several weeks now, but I can't come up with a definite answer of if there is a way to make this swap work for me. Here's my dilemma:

I want better brakes for my XJ but I want to be able to buy off the shelf service parts (calipers, rotors, pads) from local chain stores (Auto Zone, O'Reilly, PepBoys) that do not require machining or modification.

What I would like to do on the front:

WJ Knuckles
XJ Upper Ball Joint
WJ Lower Ball Joint
WJ Unit Bearings/Hubs (5x5 Bolt Pattern)
WJ Rotors (5x5 Bolt Pattern)
WJ Akebono Caliper Brackets
WJ Akebono Calipers
WJ Pads
WJ Brake Hoses
WJ Wheels (5x5 Bolt Pattern)
XJ Steering (Until I can afford to upgrade)

What I would like to do to the rear:

WJ Backing Plates
WJ Rotors
TJ+4" Parking Brake Cable (I think Crown makes these)
WJ Calipers
WJ Pads
WJ Axles
WJ Wheels

Throw in an adjustable prop valve too for good measure.

Most don't try to use WJ Unit Bearings because they want to keep the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Others say it won't work. Some say it is because the axis on the knuckle won't match the turning axis on the stubshafts. But I don't understand why. The mount that the knuckles turn on are in the same location, that's why the swap is possible - WJs had D30s too. Would I have to swap to CV style front axles? Are the front axles floating and they pull out of the carrier because they are drawn too far into the WJ unit bearing when you put the bolt on the axle?

I don't mind having machining done initially, to say fab up some stub shafts or modify a knuckle. But I don't want to have to hunt for special order parts or machine something when I need a brake job or to replace a wheel bearing. Is there a way to make this work? Is there a better alternative to the WJ swap? Maybe one of these:

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFordBAdiscs1.htm
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBArearBrakes1.htm
http://www.vancopbs.com/

Thanks!

Last edited by tlowc34; April 8th, 2014 at 22:21.
Old April 8th, 2014, 22:42
NAXJA Forum User

If you want easy service parts & to not screw around with your steering, buy the Vanco kit. Sold by Vanco, Savvy Offroad & Blackmagicbrakes.com
The WJ hub has the wrong flange offset / height to work with the XJ axle shafts. You need the spacer behind the hub, whichever hub you use, to suck the axle shaft outward & into alignment with the ball joints. Otherwise... bad things
So you run the 2000+ model year XJ / TJ hubs, which are shorter than WJ units or earlier XJ units, to get the wheel mounting surface back to the right place after you stick a 1/4" spacer behind it. Bolt pattern has nothing to do with this - it's about keeping your u-joints & axles happy by steering them in the same plane as your ball joints are turning.
Then you throw a rotor on... The WJ rotor has to be re-drilled but the caliper will center on it just fine & the hub doesn't need to be turned down to fit inside the rotor. The Explorer rotor needs some spacing for the caliper to fit & the hub needs to get skinnier, but you don't have to re-drill it. The WJ option is better overall because who wants washers between brake caliper & knuckle? And you have to modify parts either way.

A potential third option I haven't checked out for rotors is the 99 Crown Victoria. I know the '96 XJ wheel bearing fits in there, I know the rotor is the same depth as the WJ unit (IIRC...) and it's 12.42" diameter and 5x4.5" bolt pattern. So the WJ caliper may or may not fit over it, the crown vic caliper may or may not bolt to the WJ knuckle, and there might be a way to make it work. Or not.
Old April 9th, 2014, 05:49
NAXJA Forum User

To me half the benefit of the WJ setup WAS the steering.

Crossover steering is a much better setup than inverted Y.
Old April 9th, 2014, 07:10
NAXJA Forum User

I plan to make that upgrade too, just want to get the brakes squared away first.
Old April 9th, 2014, 14:05
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparManiac View Post
To me half the benefit of the WJ setup WAS the steering.

Crossover steering is a much better setup than inverted Y.
^^ This.

I ran the Vanco Big Brake kit for a year, before doing the WJ conversion, switching because of the WJ steering benefits. Zero regrets with the WJ setup.

Last edited by XJEEPER; April 9th, 2014 at 14:09.
Old October 28th, 2014, 10:57
NAXJA Forum User

Brakes/hubs are easy for this setup. Just buy '01 XJ hubs and drill the rotors. What i did and it works fine. No you don't need a press. Yes it sounds sketchy but i'll let you know when i break a rotor probably never(i'm not doing autocross in an XJ). Long arms and WJ conversion was all done at the same time and is by far my favorite mod. Aside from my dual spartans.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/u...DR_resized.jpg
Old October 28th, 2014, 12:33
NAXJA Forum User

refreshed n double posted....my B yo.
Old October 28th, 2014, 19:00
NAXJA Forum User

Tag
Old March 27th, 2015, 18:35
NAXJA Forum User

Bringing this back up. Started ordering up the parts to do this. Have been using this list as my reference for my parts purchases....was wondering why the astro van pitman arm is necessary, this is the only WJ swap list I have seen that says the pitman needs to be swapped, why is that?