• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Billows of White Smoke!

Sizzler

NAXJA Forum User
So, today I started noticing that at idle, clouds of white smoke start coming out of the muffler, like enough to engulf the back of the car in smoke. but as soon as i start driving it goes away (and not just because the car is moving, but the smoking stops). any ideas whats going on? the engine was replaced 6k ago. how could i check if it's the head gasket and is there any other explanation? thanks for any info!

Last edited:
Does it come back when you stop? How's your coolant level? White smoke is water. Could be condensation if it goes away once things heat up.

smokes even when warm and it comes back when i'm stopped. coolant level is perfect. how could i have blow a head gasket in 6k miles???

where did you get the motor from? the head gaske could have been installed upside down, the head might be warped. could also be a valve guide or seal a some ol leaking into the piston. the same thing happened to a toyota truck that i had bought a reman. motor and smoked real bad starting up and when i stopped and it onlyhad about 5000 on it

One thing you can check is to open your coolant system and start your motor. Let the motor get up to temp and look for white bubbles in the coolant. That usally a tell tell sign of head gasket trouble.

UPDATE: i pulled the plugs and the third from the front (not sure the number) was wet but i couldn't tell if it was oil or coolant (both maybe?). i started it and no smoke until it was warm. i then pulled that plug again andsmoke came out but no wetness? pulled another plug and no smoke and no wetness? i'm totaly confused!

Something is telling me its cylinder no.3 :laugh3:! Like was alredy said, the head gasket could be on upside down or it could be correct and failing letting coolant into that cylinder. When I read the title, I thought head gasket.

ok, i'm hearing a lot about a head gasket. Can i do more damage driving it now? Anyone know a write-up on changing one? I'm so f'ing pissed, I just bought this rig last week! Any help please?

Last edited:
Back