• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inactive Reserve in the Military

mud1059

NAXJA Forum User
If you've ever served, you know that the inactive reserves are what you're stuck with after your service. Totaling 8 years typically. It's always in the back of your mind but never really considered a possibility. My wife got a FedEx package today beginning the activation process. Just a forewarning to those in the same boat. We'd heard that before and knew exactly what it was but curiousity got the best of her.

Adam, if you get one let me know. Good luck to those currently "out."

Saw this yesterday evening. Thought of you guys. I've got about 6mo left on my IRR...and know it's possible because of the waivers for EVERYTHING they seem to have now. Good luck to you guys.

----------------------

Marines to Alert 1,800 Individual Ready Reservists for Reactivation

By John J. Kruzel
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, March 26, 2007 – Over the next week, 1,800 Individual Ready Reserve Marines will receive notice from the Marine Corps that they are needed in Iraq, an official announced today.

Marine Lt. Col. Jeff Riehl, Marine Corps Manpower and Reserve Affairs spokesman, told reporters at the Pentagon today that Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates approved the notification March 23, and the letters are being mailed today.

All enlistees in all services incur an eight-year commitment in some capacity, generally a combination of active or reserve duty and then IRR service. The Marine Corps can call up to 2,500 Marines from its 60,000-member IRR pool to involuntary service at any one time, following a July 26 authorization from President Bush.

To date, the Corps has recalled 69 IRR members under this authorization, and today’s announcement represents the largest involuntary recall in the Marine Corps since the beginning of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

From the 1,800 IRR members notified, Riehl said, Marine Corps officials expect 1,200 to re-enter active duty, including 1,067 sergeants and 133 captains. The ratio of notified IRR Marines to those expected to reactivate is 1 and a half to 1, as some Marines will be unable to fulfill their orders due to various mitigating circumstances, he said.

“We’ve adopted the philosophy of ‘do no harm to the Marine,’” Riehl said. “So if a Marine comes aboard during the muster and they have family issues, medical issues (or) they cannot be activated for that timeframe, we have a delay, deferment or exemption process.”

In addition, the service is excluding Marines who are in their first year of IRR service. Only Marines in their second or third year of IRR service are being involuntarily recalled, Riehl said.

The service is targeting Marines in aviation maintenance, logistics support, combat arms, motor transportation, communications, intelligence and military police -- career fields that are experiencing personnel shortages, he said.

“We’re doing this to help beef up the forces in the shortfalls that we have,” Riehl said. “Marines who receive notifications will be instructed to muster April 10-30 at the Mobility Command in Kansas City, Mo., and they will report between Oct. 9 and Oct. 20 for one year of additional active duty, Riehl said. Unit deployment dates will be in early 2008, he added.

The service has set up a Web site, https://mcmps.manpower.usmc.mil/MCMPS/GIDA/, to allow IRR Marines and recent retirees to volunteer for war on terror assignments.

The breakdown of military occupational specialties for the 1,200 IRR members is:

-- 361 Aviation Maintenance
-- 225 Logistics and Support
-- 223 Infantry, Tanks and Artillery
-- 178 Motor Transport
-- 97 Communications
-- 95 Intelligence
-- 21 Military Police

That's poopy. I'm Comm, Adam is Aircraft Maint, and Jess(wife) is Logistics/Supply.
I got an honorable discharge and a reenlistment code of 3C. I should be safe.

Hey Phil where'd you find all that info? That was handy info.

Dont know if this has anything to do with whats going on, but a friend of mine, his brother had a federal Navy warrant out on him. The Peirce County sherrifs showed up at his house, arrested him, and he was held for like 3 days at at the Peirce County jail. Well, some sort of federal guys came and questioned him about the papers he was supposed to sign before leaving. He signed them, but I guess the Navy goofed up, and owe like 1800 soldiers backpay from 2004. He is now at Bangor, and things are all well now. Weird situation.

ECKSJAY said:
it's possible because of the waivers for EVERYTHING

Not everything trust me. I have a standing deal with both the Marine and Army recruiters that call Me. If they can find the Medical waiver for Me I sign no questions asked. I only get calls from the rookie recruiters now.

WaXJ_Skier said:
Not everything trust me. I have a standing deal with both the Marine and Army recruiters that call Me. If they can find the Medical waiver for Me I sign no questions asked. I only get calls from the rookie recruiters now.
Asthma and TB are the only things that come to mind - unless it's something like a reconstructed leg from a skiing accident. Otherwise there probably IS a waiver. I had one guy get a waiver for his 6th finger.

mud1059 said:
Asthma and TB are the only things that come to mind - unless it's something like a reconstructed leg from a skiing accident. Otherwise there probably IS a waiver. I had one guy get a waiver for his 6th finger.
Diabetes actually. Kinda sucks because I got a perfect score on the ASVAB so I can have any job I want. Also pisses me off because I'm in way better shape than most of the people I know that joined.

PolishX said:
did 10 years in the service no Inactive time for me .

x2

I don't know if I would like getting jerked from my new life, its pretty coosh.

this is all because were leaving iraq by september 2008........:roflmao:

AHHHHHH!!!!!! They better not Fing call me back!!! I'm not too worried though, after reading that post, it says IRR in their first year aren't getting called, im still in my first year :) Plus, I'm going to college fulltime, so I think that's a waiverable reason not to go back.

Keep your fingers crossed for me guys!! God da#mit, I hate the government

your always within distance of the crooked green horse caulk of the marine corps. just take a muscle relaxer and pray for the best.

adamusmc2002 said:
AHHHHHH!!!!!! They better not Fing call me back!!! I'm not too worried though, after reading that post, it says IRR in their first year aren't getting called, im still in my first year :) Plus, I'm going to college fulltime, so I think that's a waiverable reason not to go back.

Keep your fingers crossed for me guys!! God da#mit, I hate the government

Last edited:
PolishX said:
get a disability rating they cant take you back ... call it extra insurance if you got banged up bad enough the first time around

Depends on the disability rating percentage. ;) I'm waiverable even with mine at 10%...

I had an Honorable as an E3 Military Policeman. Problem is I was never with a direct combat support unit, just Intelligence. My TS clearance has lapsed, too...so I'm thinking that I'm probably not even on the list. Never say never, though. :gee:

PolishX said:
get a disability rating they cant take you back ... call it extra insurance if you got banged up bad enough the first time around

My wife has 40% disability and they know this. They don't care. OORAH Marine Corps :rolleyes:

I can't wait for IRR. I'm sick of losing 1 wheeling weekend a month to broom pushing and rock painting for uncle sam.

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
your always within distance of the crooked green horse caulk of the marine corps. just take a muscle relaxer and pray for the best.

Yeah, I know, just feels like i'm done since I'm not active anymore. Once Jan '09 comes and goes, I'll be free and clear forever!!! Were you in xDUMPTRUCKx? Are you still within reach?

Adam

Back