• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ 4.0 knocks when turning, pulls left when braking?

Heinz

NAXJA Forum User
92 XJ 4.0 auto w/ 123K, "knocks" when turning corners or at times when accelerating from stop - and pulls left when braking at maybe more than 40 mph? Tires are all inflated properly, idler/A arm bad?. It has limited slip rear that I serviced approx. 3-5 K ago and I added the factory ltd. slip additive. Also of course it just started leaking coolant from front part of radiator? Of course it's wifes that I drove 360 mi rd trip this holiday weekend and all has started maybe 1 month ago except coolant leak. :) I'll find leak, it's been pesky, thinkin orig. rad. due prob. for change, I just did upper & lower rad. hoses a few months back. (I put 3 core GDI in mine/identical Jeep w/o posi ,2 yrs ago.) Rear diff is full. Also think there is a "hum" somewhere in driveline, checked ujoints seem fine, but will drop shafts tomorrow to check. Thanks guys for any hints that may save me time, Heinz

well, you've got quite a list going there for yourself, but what the knock when you turn corners and the pull when braking COULD be (keep in mind im not one of the experts on here, but had a similiar problem on my old 87 XJ) is a worn track bar bracket.
They apparantely tend to wear out over time and loosen up a bit and when jarred around, not only cause erratic steering control problems, but also make a knocking noise.

I would have a buddy over, and have him turn the steering wheel back and forth, lock to lock, while u look and LISTEN underneither the front of the jeep.....

hope this helps

CaptTrev

Back