• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad transmission or torque converter?

xjTrent

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys I have some interesting issues here. Just replaced my flex plate and when I first started it the flex plate knock went away. Started it today and its back. Can a bad torque converter cause play enough for the bolts in the flex plate to hit things? It seems like that's a LOT of play. Or do you guys think the transmission is done?

I'm not sure what to do except maybe do new motor and transmission mounts and a new torque converter? Really don't wanna do a swap..

Last edited:
I had a non jeep with trust bearing wear on the crank shaft that was damaging the TC, so check the crank shaft too. Also, you may not be getting it totally aligned and bolted together properly.

Check the starter and its mount too.

well try wrenching down ur tc bolts first if not then u can pull the trans back and try and start to see wat it does. also grab both ends of ur trans and play with shafts and feel/ listen for something unordinary. if the trans has a problem to make noise lke this then u would have some kind of debris in the pan. process of elimination in unconventional ways
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970 could help

My engine runs great like a bat out of hell is it possible for it to run this way and have bad bearings/be out of balance? I really dont know what to do.

Sorry for a double post it won't let me edit my last one?

I've been searching and searching and thinking and I thought of a couple things.

The flex plate I took out didn't look cracked at all but the torque converter holes were ovaled out. This in my mind points to the torque converter even more. The new one makes the same noise but seems to move even MORE.

What confuses me is it wasn't always like this, what causes the torque converter to spontaneously start to wobble?

Back