• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrade to 95 booster,M/C

redwagon

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to let everyone know I completed this install , Braking is much improved, But ran into a snag, Brake lights are staying on all the time . This was an 95 booster,M/c to an 89 XJ . DO I need to get the brake light switch from a 95 model?

Thx

i dealt with this same thing. u do need the newer type switch. the install of the switch was the hardest part for me. CheapXJ on the board helped me fix mine. if u want to email me i can get u some pics and some info on how to do it.

Brad
[email protected]

yep...'94 switch will work

Brad

got the 94 switch

So I have the part 94 switch what's next ?

PS have cruise control on the 89 if it makes a difference.

Thanks,
Todd

I did the same upgrade on my '88, using the tech write-up from MADXJ.com as a guide. And if I remember correctly you will need to replace the rod from the old single diaphram booster into the new booster to retain the old switch setup so you can have the cruise function with the new booster. Instead of swaping out the brake push rod I cut off the end of the new one and welded on one from an old style single diaphram booster. Worked great and I was able to adjust the length of the rod to match the old booster. If you do weld, be carefull not to overheat the rod and distroy the seals inside of the diaphram or cause the rod itself to become brittle. Email me if you have any other questions. Good Luck.

Woody

I was able to retain cruise without messing with the rod.

the new switch has 3 separate switches inside. two are on-off and one is off-on

plug the vacuum dump and just hook up the wires that went to the CC switch to the new switch.

the cruise control just disengages a little more roughly than before. but for the added braking power, it is DEFINITELY worth it ;)

from what I understand though, you can just grind a flat spot on the end of the pedal rod, and continue using the old switch. I wish I woulda known this sooner :(

there's an example here: http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/brakes/xj_wjbrakes03/booster/

ya cheap...i tried just that, grinding it down. but the problem is u have to get the exact right amount removed at the exact right angle. thats why i had to bug u over and over again to get mine to work.

Brad

Back