• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear discs

steve-o

NAXJA Forum User
This question is for those of you with rear disc brakes. I converted my Dana 44 ove to discs using parts of a GC Dana 35. I have had a problem with them leaking oil at the seals. I replaced one side a while ago and the leaking has stopped. I replaced the other a few days ago and continues to leak. My question is what is the correct torque spec on the 4 bolts that bolt the backing plate to the axle flange? I thought it was 55 ft lbs but it was still leaked from between the disc and the backing plate. I dropped it to 35 and now it continues to leak in the original place, between the flange and the backing plate.

steve-o said:
This question is for those of you with rear disc brakes. I converted my Dana 44 ove to discs using parts of a GC Dana 35. I have had a problem with them leaking oil at the seals. I replaced one side a while ago and the leaking has stopped. I replaced the other a few days ago and continues to leak. My question is what is the correct torque spec on the 4 bolts that bolt the backing plate to the axle flange? I thought it was 55 ft lbs but it was still leaked from between the disc and the backing plate. I dropped it to 35 and now it continues to leak in the original place, between the flange and the backing plate.
are you using the plates that have a lip on them to put pressure onto the seals?

It's probably not your torque. Are your retainer plates in one piece, or did you cut them in half so you wouldn't have to get a new bearing/seal pressed on to begin with?

If they are halves, I probably know what your problem is. If they are wholes, I'm not so sure unless your seal was damaged somehow when it was pressed on.

Isnt there a spacer that needs to go between the retainer plate and the seal? or is the "lip" on the retainer suppose to take care of that.

steve-o said:

Where is the seal leaking from?
From the axle shaft or the axle tube? If the seal is leaking at the tube, I'd try degreasing and using RTV on the outer perimeter of the seal, to seal it. I think corrosion pits on the tube cause the leak.
If the leak is at the center of the seal then the axle shaft might not be smooth enough for a good seal, or the seal was not installed with grease at the lip, ran dry and got burnt.
If the vent tube is not plugged, there is no pressure in the axle, just gravity.

falcon556 said:
Where is the seal leaking from?
From the axle shaft or the axle tube? If the seal is leaking at the tube, I'd try degreasing and using RTV on the outer perimeter of the seal, to seal it. I think corrosion pits on the tube cause the leak.
If the leak is at the center of the seal then the axle shaft might not be smooth enough for a good seal, or the seal was not installed with grease at the lip, ran dry and got burnt.
If the vent tube is not plugged, there is no pressure in the axle, just gravity.

X2, this was going to be my second suggestion....

Justin

Back