• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Pump Pulley thread 3/8"-16?

mchulse

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All, I've been searching around the forums for a couple days and figured I'd just ask after having limited success. I'm replacing my power steering pump and have got to the point where I need to put the new pulley on the new pump. I did a dry run with the old pump and had a really tough time with the power steering pulley tool I rented from AutoZone. The supplied bolt in the tool kit is 4" long 3/8"-16, I'm able to get about 2.5-3 turns into the power steering pump until it won't thread anymore. I tried threading it on the new pump with the same result (albeit I forced it a lot less). 2.5 turns proved enough hold to put the old pulley back on the old pump but I'm a little concerned it might strip out when putting on the new pulley on the new high dollar pump I bought.

Does anyone know what thread size the pump should be? The 3/8"-16 threads on the bolt do look a little striped but don't have a problem threading all the way through the pulley pusher part of the tool (not sure what it's actually called).

Hello All, I've been searching around the forums for a couple days and figured I'd just ask after having limited success. I'm replacing my power steering pump and have got to the point where I need to put the new pulley on the new pump. I did a dry run with the old pump and had a really tough time with the power steering pulley tool I rented from AutoZone. The supplied bolt in the tool kit is 4" long 3/8"-16, I'm able to get about 2.5-3 turns into the power steering pump until it won't thread anymore. I tried threading it on the new pump with the same result (albeit I forced it a lot less). 2.5 turns proved enough hold to put the old pulley back on the old pump but I'm a little concerned it might strip out when putting on the new pulley on the new high dollar pump I bought.

Does anyone know what thread size the pump should be? The 3/8"-16 threads on the bolt do look a little striped but don't have a problem threading all the way through the pulley pusher part of the tool (not sure what it's actually called).

I'm pretty sure it was 3/8"-16 SAE thread on the 89 pump I just installed. I'd be very hesitant to try it with only 2-1/2 engagement. I'd bet someone stretched the bolt on the Autozone tool - grab a ruler and start counting threads.

Thanks Lawsoncl, I think you're probably right about the threads being off on the pulley tool. I did end up trying it with 2.5 turn engagement and it went on without issue. It was a little risky but glad I got it knocked out though I probably would recommend just getting a new $15 Power Steering Pulley tool from HF instead of risking striping out the new pump with a suspect bolt.

Now on to the ball joints and front wheel hubs! (why do I always start these projects when it hits triple digits outside?)

Back