• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping A/C stuff

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
How hard would it be to swap a newer A/C system into a renix Cherokee?

i have factory air but its hard to find the A/C lines and was thinking of swapping to a newer A/C system. Probably just compressor and everything except the condenser and evaporator.

Im just thinking of this as an option if it comes down to it. currently i just have a hole in the condenser and have ordered a new one. but in the event i damage a line.

Check out ACKITS.COM. When I "rebuilt" my A/C, I bought my parts here.

Check out ACKITS.COM. When I "rebuilt" my A/C, I bought my parts here.

I will look into that. they didn't show the hoses but im guessing they can make them.

it looks like if i was to change over i would need the compressor and associated hoses to and from the compressor. The rest looks the same.

I'm not sure about the upgrade but I have some related friendly advice. Getting to the in cabin air fan requires you to remove most of your ac equipment. My advice is do what I did and change it now while everything is apart so you don't find that fan failing on you and you having to replace most of your ac for no reason later down the line.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about the upgrade but I have some related friendly advice. Getting to the in cabin air fan requires you to remove most of your ac equipment. My advice is do what I did and change it now while everything is apart so you don't find that fan failing on you and you having to replace most of your ac for no reason later down the line.

Wait, what? I just replaced the cabin blower on 'my 92 a month or so back, it's mounted on the firewall and accessed from the engine bay to remove/install. I only had to move the washer bottle (on a '92 it's all the way to the passenger side on the firewall) to get at it. Don't think they moved it anywhere from 84-01.

I thought there was just the coolant pressure bottle in the same spot on a Renix - am I missing something here?

Wait, what? I just replaced the cabin blower on 'my 92 a month or so back, it's mounted on the firewall and accessed from the engine bay to remove/install. I only had to move the washer bottle (on a '92 it's all the way to the passenger side on the firewall) to get at it. Don't think they moved it anywhere from 84-01.

I thought there was just the coolant pressure bottle in the same spot on a Renix - am I missing something here?
On mine (1998) the condenser canister is in the way. So when I did my ac I made a point to change that fan after 20 years of service. I guess the renix system has it a little different

Interesting. I wonder why they moved the condenser canister up to block that fan, considering they didn't have it in the way on the earlier models...

Back