• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1942 Willys Jeep

vikingxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just purchased this and thought it was really cool. It will be my new[est] project, thus effectively pushing my lift kit further into the future, but its worth it.

Runs really well, shifts well, overall its in great condition. There is a little rust here and there, but nothing horrible or beyond repair!party1:

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

Last edited:
A little paint, a little duct tape and you're good to go. Nice.

Last edited:
After I get the tub rust free and repaired, I think I might rhinoline it. That can always be removed later if I decide to and this way it'd be protected. I'm stoked for this little project!

After I get the tub rust free and repaired

Looks like you'll have your hands full with that :eek: I'd go with a replacement tub, that thing looks like swiss cheese. The biggest problem is that once you start cutting/grinding the rusted metal out of there, there's usually very little tub left.

Good luck, I love the old flatties.

There's surprisingly very little rust for the age. Its only on the back left corner, passenger side and a little on the driver's side. A few cuts here and there will leave it plenty intact.

There's surprisingly very little rust for the age. Its only on the back left corner, passenger side and a little on the driver's side. A few cuts here and there will leave it plenty intact.

Looked like one floorboard was gone, one rocker panel, and the rear corners. It's absolutely replaceable, but once you start grinding into it to find clean metal to weld your patch/replacement sheet metal to, sometimes you end up with a huge patch piece.

Good luck with it, have fun and use it as a learning experience.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will probably remove the seats, wire brush the inside and prime it. Then when I get the opportunity, cut out the rust and either learn how to weld or maybe take a class at the tech college to learn how. Or just take it to a shop so I don't end up buying a welder...I have a bad habit of buying stuff just because I will use it on a project. I could forsee that happening to me with this Jeep as a welder *might* be useful in the future.

When I saw the pics, I was wondering if there was a Fiberglass Tub to take care of the problems. BUT it might look original, but would not be.

There is a company that makes steel replacement CJ tubs, all models. I can't think of the name of them offhand, but they have ads in the magazines showing some smarmy middle-aged douche with a crescent wrench in his hand claiming he replaced his old tub with one of theirs in like an hour. The point being that they fit that well, you don't have to monkey around with getting it to fit, all of the OEM mounts line right up.

Looking at those pics, those are some gaping rust holes, which will only get bigger once you start looking for clean metal at the edges. The tailgate-less area looks like it has about a hundred holes in it as well. I'm guessing once viking starts cutting and grinding on this thing he'll at least consider a replacement tub.

I'm planning on keeping the original tub. I don't want a new tub because that ruins the history of it for me. I'm not looking for a pristine mint Jeep. Those are kinda ghey as they have no character. I'm all about the originality on this one.

I know its going to be work. I'm not afraid of that, I want to do it myself. I'm looking into taking welding classes at the tech college that is less than half a mile from my house. Could probably do a class project with this.

A replacement tub is my option of last resort. Being a student, I can't put too much money towards this project until I'm done (this spring) and even then, I want to fix this up as original as possible.

Start with the powertrain. Get it running well, replace seals and gaskets as necessary, then move on to the interior and body. Give the frame and springs a good look over too, you may have some frame welding to do, especially around the spring and shackle mounts. It should be fun.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will probably remove the seats, wire brush the inside and prime it. Then when I get the opportunity, cut out the rust and either learn how to weld or maybe take a class at the tech college to learn how. Or just take it to a shop so I don't end up buying a welder...I have a bad habit of buying stuff just because I will use it on a project. I could forsee that happening to me with this Jeep as a welder *might* be useful in the future.

its a project alright, it actually has more rust then most, im a flatty willys guy and the 1st thing ide do is find a tub, that thing is WAY to much work to get really back..... the wire brush.... well i dont know about that, i honestly would look for a tub , if your not putting it in shows for VIN recognition ide change it 1/2 the jeeps out there all militaried out arent the origonal tubs, the one i have is , cause it was kept in the barn over the years from the guy i got it from , it had a bit of surface rust but that was it.

I'm not tryin to rag on ya whatsoever but thats just to much work for that tub

To the original OP. cut your losses. If the frame is solid, get a new steel, fiberglass, or kevlar tub. It will be nicer in the long run, than trying to bring that POS tub back to right.

I understand your guy's points. I however am determined to make it work. I have as much time as I want to work on it once I graduate. It'll be OK, trust me :D .

If I happen upon a WWII tub, I'd consider it, but as a student, I don't have the slush funds to do that as of right now. For $150 I can take a sheet welding class at the tech college and drive this to class every day until I've repaired it. I want to do the work on it. Its going to be a project that's for sure, I am in no rush.

As far as the powertrain goes, where do I start with that? Tub off and disassemble what? I've never done anything of that sort.
Thanks!

Back