• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EVENT: 12th Annual SoCalXJ Fiesta Island Picnic – Sat, Aug 23rd, 2014

mikedashg

NAXJA Forum User
IM0008_45-47_sm.jpg

Mark your calendars!

DATE: Saturday, August 23rd, 2014.

Come one, come all. It's time for the SoCalXJ Fiesta Island BBQ Picnic Potluck Swapmeet Show'n'shine Hootenanny Cavalcade!

This is the 12th year in a row we drive are XJs to the beach during the summer time for some good food, and water play (Jet ski's, boats, kayaks, sandcastles, fire pits, etc). Bring some food for yourself, and some to share (if you like). We can use some tables if you have them.

Feel free to drive your daily drivers, RVs, tow rigs, TJs, whatever, if that's all you have, driving/owning an XJ is not required, it's just encouraged. No, this is not an official SoCal Chapter NAXJA event, think about it folks, this event has been going on longer then the SoCal Chapter existed. This is an official unofficial SoCalXJ Yahoo group event. You don't have to be a member of SoCalXJ.com Yahoo Group to attend.

TIME: Morning until whenever, just show up any time!
Typically, most people arrive mid-day, but people will generally be there sunrise to just before sunset.
Official beach hours are 6am-10pm. Island access does close, with NO CAMPING.

DIRECTIONS/MAP, click on the blue pin, and get directions to: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213636899238715041971.00048d2fe378839f15a18&msa=0

From I-5, take the Sea World Drive exit and head southwest, then make a right onto East Mission Bay Drive, then left to Fiesta Island. There is parking throughout the island.

OFFICIAL FIESTA ISLAND RULES:
NO alcohol OR glass containers.
http://www.sandiego.gov/cityattorney/documents/alcoholban.shtml
http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/parks/regional/missionbay/fiestaisland.shtml
Sorry, San Diego County Municipal Code rules, NOT our Rules. Again, no glass containers, no camping, closes at 10.

POTLUCK SIGN-UP SHEET (Optional, just so we don't get 10 bags of chips):
Coming Soon! Carol, that means you.

On the Calendar.

How do you all feel about non-Jeeps showing up to this event?

I was starting to organize a similar event for the SoCal chapter of ExpeditionPortal.com and one of our members pointed me to this thread.

I think it would be fun to have a mixed group, but if you all would prefer not to have your event crashed by a bunch of overlanders in strange non-Jeeps (and some Jeeps too), we'll steer clear of your dates.

Thanks much!

Non-Jeeps are welcome. Bring food. We love free food almost as much as we love our Jeeps. Most of us know each other already so if we are not talking to you it is not because of what you drive, it just that we don't know you yet, so introduce yourself, and bring food.

Non-Jeeps are welcome. Bring food. We love free food almost as much as we love our Jeeps. Most of us know each other already so if we are not talking to you it is not because of what you drive, it just that we don't know you yet, so introduce yourself, and bring food.

What he said. Plus all you exped guys probably have folding camp tables. We need those to put our food on :D

I was starting to organize a similar event for the SoCal chapter of ExpeditionPortal.com and one of our members pointed me to this thread.

I certainly would not object. I think there's a good deal of common ground between the two.

Bump,

Can’t wait! Yes,I know I have to, but at least it is getting closer!!

Been wanting to go to this ever since I bought my Cherokee 10 years ago...

And every year something comes up that prevents it.

This year I have to be in Tahoe for a wedding.

I wonder what will come along next year to screw things up for me?

Been wanting to go to this ever since I bought my Cherokee 10 years ago...

And every year something comes up that prevents it.

This year I have to be in Tahoe for a wedding.

I wonder what will come along next year to screw things up for me?

Zombies?

What he said. Plus all you exped guys probably have folding camp tables. We need those to put our food on :D

Indeed. I'll be there with all my gear. So much gear, in fact, that I need to get rid of some of it.

Look for the guy with the pop-top Chevy Astro on steroids - I'll have camp tables and some other gear for sale...

August, ehh? Day use only, ehh? Means I wouldn't need camping gear, ehh? Hmmm, I wonder if I could get a hall pass to head down there, and then make a gonzo run to Death Valley, and see if Gomer still overheats in the summer?

This sounds interesting enough, with seeing some folks I know, and meeting some folks I don't know to give it a try. You be willing to put up with a ex SoCaler?

Might need a place to crash in SD, but I'll see what I can do to maybe pull this off.

David Bricker / SYR

August, ehh? Day use only, ehh? Means I wouldn't need camping gear, ehh? Hmmm, I wonder if I could get a hall pass to head down there, and then make a gonzo run to Death Valley, and see if Gomer still overheats in the summer?

This sounds interesting enough, with seeing some folks I know, and meeting some folks I don't know to give it a try. You be willing to put up with a ex SoCaler?

Might need a place to crash in SD, but I'll see what I can do to maybe pull this off.

David Bricker / SYR

Yes, come down!! Please!! We'd love to see you!

And if no one has a dedicated guest room, my daughter will have just left for school, and you're welcome to use her room... it may be full of detritus & debris, but the double bed itself will be clean...

Yes, come down!! Please!! We'd love to see you!

And if no one has a dedicated guest room, my daughter will have just left for school, and you're welcome to use her room... it may be full of detritus & debris, but the double bed itself will be clean...

Thanks for the offer, I do appreciate it.

Funny how I said "come down there", as if I still lived in the LA area. I guess old habits die hard, even after 29 years of being gone. I suppose I should have said "come out there".

David Bricker / SYR

Back