• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case failure?

smcqueen

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 XJ with AW4 auto and NP231 transfer case with Novak slip yoke eliminator. Jeep left me stranded on the highway 30 miles outside of Phoenix. Heard a clunk then no drive. Nothing in 2wd or 4wh. Still rolls in park. Shift linkage replaced and in good working order. I can put in 4wl and it will drive around. No unusual noises at all. Any thoughts?

Are you shifting the from the shift mechanism lever or from the Range Lever on the transfer case ?

You could suppose that the root cause is the shift mechanism being improperly adjusted, or perhaps the shift fork is broken, or the shift fork tabs are worn out. Failure of 2wd and 4x4 Hi is not a common failure.

standard.jpg

I replaced the shift linkage with the stick shift linkage with the aftermarket type that simply uses two rod ends with adjuster. Have never had trouble with shifts once I got it set up. I looked under the Jeep and saw that it was shifting the range lever. I suspect something internal is a problem and plan on removing the transfer case. Just wondering what to expect. Thanks.

Have a 2004 liberty with the np231, did the same thing no 2wd/4hi but works awesome in 4lo. Took transfer case apart, the mode fork( one towards transmission side) was broke.

Back