• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Pump Woes- Still whining!

tballer4596

NAXJA Forum User
Alright everyone, I feel like I'm finally nearing the end of this seemingly never-ending WJ swap project. A brief synopsis:

Installed 4.7l WJ pump and Durango box.

Drilled XJ high pressure fitting to match WJ fitting (this may have been a mistake, but I don't think it was and I'll explain why)

Went insane trying to get all the air out of the system for days, weeks even, no matter what it whines like crazy. Blamed the pump, swapped in a new one, same issue.
Finally found a thread that mentioned that you have to use the larger 1/2" return barb on the reservoir or else the pump starved.*
Eureka! One custom barb to adapt the smaller xj return hose to the larger port and done. The problem was 90% solved. Whine was mostly gone and air stopped coming out like crazy.

BUT.

It's still not perfect. My steering is good under power, the assist feels perfect. But as soon as I slow down and come to an idle it stiffens up way too much. It's very annoying. And there's still a whine.

​​​​​​​Some people say that you can't drill the fitting out all the way because there's too much assist and it causes the whine. Maybe. I'm willing to buy a new XJ fitting to try it out. But as it is, I don't have the feeling of "too much" or "twichy" steering assist at all. Under power it's perfect, exactly how I want it. I just want my steering to match that feeling at low speeds. And I'm not sure that restricting the fitting would solve that issue. So my question is, what on Earth do I have to do to get this working right. There must be someone out there who's done this mod and has found a successful combo! There's plenty of threads on this but none that mention poor assist at idle, it's mostly threads focused on the whining. Any help is appreciated.

I should also mention that the pump whines throughout the entirety of turning. If I turn the wheel, it starts whining immediately.

I had this done on my XJ. Kept the stock XJ fitting no drilling or anything else, worked perfect.

How did you bleed the system?

Did you use all the XJ hoses? You don't need to swap them.

Have you tried tightening the belt a little bit? Not sure if all the dimensions are identical on the dub j pump... Might just need a little more push at idle?

You mention "assist" a few times... As in power steering " assist" or "hydro assist"? Did you only swap the power steering pump and Durango gear box, or did you tap the box and add hydro assist as well? Might be a dumb question... But the wording has me second guessing what all was done

Last edited:
Back