• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ steering pump on XJ - whining.

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
Put a 98 Durango box and WJ (2001 V8) steering pump on my 98 XJ.
I actually put a 2000 WJ pump on first before realizing it wasn't any bigger than the XJ pump. With the XJ or 2000 WJ pump, no whine, so it's not the durango box.

With the 01 WJ V8 pump, I bored out the high pressure fitting about half way between the XJ and WJ sizes. I read on a few threads that boring isn't necessary, and on a few others that it is necessary. I figured somewhere in between would be a good start, and I've got a few spare XJ fittings to play with.

So I've got a few idea's, but I'm sure someone must have the correct answer. Anyone?

My ideas:
1. High pressure fitting needs to be bored bigger.
2. High pressure fitting shouldn't be bored at all.
3. Need to use the larger of the two low pressure return lines (currently using the smaller one).
4. Need bigger hoses all around.
5. Need different steering fluid?

Who's got the answer?

In another thread I recall a guy fixing the pump whine by using the larger return. No direct experience though.

Iirc you want the larger return. I seem to remember also reading that there were 2 different return ports and people often use the wrong one.... I'd have to do some digging

In another thread I recall a guy fixing the pump whine by using the larger return. No direct experience though.

Iirc you want the larger return. I seem to remember also reading that there were 2 different return ports and people often use the wrong one.... I'd have to do some digging

Yea, I read that in a few threads, but no one ever actually mentions if it fixed the issue. All the threads I found, the larger port was suspect but I never saw any update.
I'll give it a try tomorrow. Also read that this pump is supposed to be using some super secret mopar fluid and there was a TSB issued about using the wrong stuff. Will do some digging on that tonight. Sure would be nice if it was just a fluid issue.

Use the larger return with a larger ID hose going
To it and use royal purple. Il bet you dial it in that way. I've read a ton of wj pump threads .

So I'm clear, do I need to build a new 0.5" return line, starting right at the steering box output, or can I just increase the hose diameter to 0.5" right after the output fitting?

I don't understand cavitation in the context of hydraulics.

So all you did was stick a 0.5" hose on the end of the stock output hose from the box, and plugged into the lower return port? How does this increase flow when output from the box is still only 3/8?
I'm not arguing, just curious as to why this would work and would like to have a better idea before I tear this apart again and go out and buy fittings and hoses.

I put a WJ pump in my 87 MJ about 2 months ago. I used stock replacement hoses for an 87 and transferred my old fitting (unmodified) to the new pump. I haven't experienced any whining. I guess I got lucky.

So all you did was stick a 0.5" hose on the end of the stock output hose from the box, and plugged into the lower return port? How does this increase flow when output from the box is still only 3/8?
I'm not arguing, just curious as to why this would work and would like to have a better idea before I tear this apart again and go out and buy fittings and hoses.

Yes, that's what I did. I agree, intuitively it doesnt make sense, but it solved my problem. Someone who understands fluid dynamics better than me can probably explain. For what it's worth, the section of 3/8" tube coming out of the box before it steps up to 1/2" is very short.

Well I swapped hoses as described. Whine is mostly gone but now I'm getting lots or foam at full lock. Bled through 3x so far and not sure if its getting any better .

What year wj, and from what motor? 99-00 4.7L is not any bigger than the stock xj pump. The "upgrade" is the 01-04 4.7L with the hydraulic fan. If you don't bore out the HP fitting, you won't get near the power you should get.

Re: Re: WJ steering pump on XJ - whining.

I put a WJ pump in my 87 MJ about 2 months ago. I used stock replacement hoses for an 87 and transferred my old fitting (unmodified) to the new pump. I haven't experienced any whining. I guess I got lucky.
What year wj, and from what motor? 99-00 4.7L is not any bigger than the stock xj pump. The "upgrade" is the 01-04 4.7L with the hydraulic fan. If you don't bore out the HP fitting, you won't get near the power you should get.

My pump is from an 01-04 with a 4.7 V8. In your opinion how much power should I get? With both front wheels in a rut I can easily turn with one finger.

My pump is from an 01-04 with a 4.7 V8. In your opinion how much power should I get? With both front wheels in a rut I can easily turn with one finger.

WTF? Seems everyone gets wildly different results with this mod. There's gotta be a reason.
Between the Durango box and WJ pump, the steering is definitely substantially lighter, but not "stuck in a rut, turn with a finger" lighter. It's light enough that it's almost too twitchy on the highway, but not light enough to turn with one finger on flat pavement.

Wait, I'm on 35x12.5". Maybe that's the difference?

Either way, still whining a bit at higher RPM, but sounds like it's just air working it's way out. I'll report back in a few days with status.

you might want to consider putting in a non-drilled high pressure side fitting.

I just put a WJ pump in this weekend and used the lower return line and did not drill the fitting. The guy I got the pump from broke the fitting off actually so I've had to drill it out and install my own fitting. Besides that, it works great. I'd also say the steering isn't 1 finger light, but an improvement.

Well, took it out wheelin' tonight. Definitely stronger than stock, but no where near 1 finger turning, and after an hour or so of wheelin' I started getting some fade.
Didn't see any foaming action going on, but it did start whining at around 2400RPM again.

Then I climbed a divider wall and somehow managed to spin my steering 90 degrees. Not even sure where it slipped. Nothing bent so I'm guessing either the pitman spun or busted something in the box *sigh*.

WTF? What tire size are you running? Is your pitman nut tight?

Back