• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XRC Smittybuilt rear bumper - keep looking

I have the JCR diy bumper kit that I planned on building and making a tire carrier for. My plan was to beef up the hitch at the same time. The reason I decided not to go the diy route (which would look better and be about half the price) is the liability issues should something happen. If I buy a tire carrier bumper that specifies it has a class 3 hitch and something fails (the hitch, clevis tabs or carrier) causing an accident, it falls back on the company that made it. If the same thing is made by someone in their garage and it fails, they're screwed unless they have an LLC and even then civil court will keep you poor for the rest of your life. Just something to think about. That's the reason most bumper companies dont rate their hitches. The testing and all that it takes to get it rated is crazy extensive not to mention not cost effective for a "small" company. Smittybilt and EAG both rate their hitches as class 3 so they're assuming all liability

I have the JCR diy bumper kit that I planned on building and making a tire carrier for. My plan was to beef up the hitch at the same time. The reason I decided not to go the diy route (which would look better and be about half the price) is the liability issues should something happen. If I buy a tire carrier bumper that specifies it has a class 3 hitch and something fails (the hitch, clevis tabs or carrier) causing an accident, it falls back on the company that made it. If the same thing is made by someone in their garage and it fails, they're screwed unless they have an LLC and even then civil court will keep you poor for the rest of your life. Just something to think about. That's the reason most bumper companies dont rate their hitches. The testing and all that it takes to get it rated is crazy extensive not to mention not cost effective for a "small" company. Smittybilt and EAG both rate their hitches as class 3 so they're assuming all liability

This is categorically not true. Classifying the hitch only means that it is/was designed for a certain capacity. It’s is not a never ending guarantee of suitability and durability (give the fine print a read sometime). Also, you can be sued for anything, anytime. You’re not “protected” by anything other than insurance. If they want you they’re going to figure out a way. Your comments about LLC’s is incorrect as well.

Lastly, what the hell are you towing with a friggin Cherokee? These things are NOT capable towing vehicles. You’re not going to be breaking a hitch properly built/made of 3/16 plate unless you’re overloading the truck....then you’re back to asking to be sued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is categorically not true. Classifying the hitch only means that it is/was designed for a certain capacity. It’s is not a never ending guarantee of suitability and durability (give the fine print a read sometime). Also, you can be sued for anything, anytime. You’re not “protected” by anything other than insurance. If they want you they’re going to figure out a way. Your comments about LLC’s is incorrect as well.

Lastly, what the hell are you towing with a friggin Cherokee? These things are NOT capable towing vehicles. You’re not going to be breaking a hitch properly built/made of 3/16 plate unless you’re overloading the truck....then you’re back to asking to be sued.

I agree with this and about the only time it would even come into question is if you needed to rent a trailer otherwise nobody is going to ask.

I saw a guy towing a 25+ foot sail boat with a 97-01 Cherokee the other week. I couldn't get my phone out fast enough to get a picture because I was in a turn and his light went green but I wish I had it to show. Had to see it to believe it.

I had the Smittybuilt bumper and the exhaust rattling on it was driving me insane. Every stop light people were looking at me like the car was going to fall apart. The finish is strange and the divot in the middle filled up with water every time it rained and became a bird bath. I changed out for a JCR bumper. The finish work on it could be better but the welding and the design are A+. I don't think JCR quotes a rating for any of their bumpers for towing. Just an It's sturdy, use your discretion I think.

I agree with this 100%! A Cherokee is not an appropriate tow vehicle for anything larger than a small utility trailer.

The previous owner of my XJ installed one of the XRC rear bumpers and I hate it. It has some sort of wrinkle paint that is flaking off and like others have said the spare is mounted way too far back.

I have the XRC Smittybuilt rear bumper/tire carrier. While I'm not a huge fan, it's got a good set of features and is pretty cheap. There aren't a lot of tire carrier bumpers that also have room for a gascan, a hi-lift jack, and a fire extinguisher. I waited on backorder for almost a year for a guy to make a custom one before he went out of business... The JCR one is nice but $$$. The fitment on the XRC isn't great, but I'm driving a +20yr old off roading Jeep and I got a tire carrier bumper for like $600, I don't care about fitment that much as long as it gets the job done.

Back