• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Pump Voltage Improvement, New FAT Wire!

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
my air pump was always a bit slow filling tires, it is located way in the back of the XJ about as far from battery as can be. about 23 feet of wire away each way.

prior owners shop installed it using 12 AWG wire, and did a round trip by running the negative 12 awg wire back the battery too. 46 feet of wire total!

my pump was slow to fill tires, So I installed 6 awg wire from battery positive to pump, and grounded pump to the body panel next to the pump.

the results...

old wires...

11.2 volts at pump when running. fills my 33 x 12 tire from 13 to 20 psi in 120 seconds

New fat wire...

13.4 volts at pump when running fills my 33x 12 tire from 13 to 22 psi in 120 seconds

the new wires allowed a 23% increase in pressure for same time of pumping. I now should be able to fill up my tires much faster. One less thing for my 4x4 friends to complain about, my slow refill times.

I am happy now!

Back