• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein 5100 quick install question.

Calata

NAXJA Forum User
Front shocks, upper mount nut. Originally, the truck had a standard nut on top of the original shocks that was screwed down until the bushings were almost 1/8" thick.

The 5100 Bilsteins come with nylon lock nuts for the top mounts. Do I install the nylon lock nuts just until 3 threads are showing past the nut ( What I've learned to be standard nylon lock nut installation ) or do I make pancakes out of the new bushings also. Currently they are installed with 3 threads showing.

Will have to go do the back shocks and springs and Bilstein CS is closed.

Thanks,
Nick

Happy Easter.

I've seen instructions more than once to the effect of squishing the bushings until they expand to the same diameter as the washer over/under them.

Squish them so they extend past the edge of the washer is too tight.
Squish them a little but they are still short of the edge of the washer, is too loose.

are 5100s for a lifted truck or not? im looking for some for my 98 that has 5" of lift.

My good buddy is a R&D manager at Bilstein and he says to tighten them until the bushing is about the same diameter as the washer, as stated above by Rick.

xj_mike said:
My good buddy is a R&D manager at Bilstein and he says to tighten them until the bushing is about the same diameter as the washer, as stated above by Rick.

x 7 or so.
If you go 3 threads with the Bilsteins...you will experience some clunking and rattle as they wear in.
HTH

Ok. Finished the whole leaf spring and 4 shocks install yestherday. The Front shocks are to be threaded down until 5 threads show. At that point the bushing is even all the way around with the metal washer. At 3 threads showing, I had minor shock clunk noise when driving around the block. All is good at 5 threads showing.

Thanks for everyone's help. Figured this thread would help others out there in the future also.

Back