• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

knocking when climbing steep hills

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
ok a couple of weeks ago when i was at hollister i noticed that whenevr i was climing a steep hill in 4 wheel lo there was a knocking sound coming from the front im sure( maybe not though, im not under the carwhen i wheel) so what might be causing this. it will happen every once and a while. i was going trough a "frame twister" and it was moderatey difficult not realy though and i couldnt hear a knocking then so whats up why is this happening?

p.s. this was also after i smashed down on my t case ad bent the crossmember real bad. im getting a HD crossmember for xmas will this help?

its not consistent though it will happen then 10 seconds later if it feels like its struggling it will knock

sounds like front driveshaft bind. it happened to me too and eventually knocked the pre-load out of my front pinion, trashed the pinion bearing a few hundred miles later. so watch it closely.

It's likely the double carden joint at the top of the front driveshaft. If so, it would make a clicking/light knocking noise under power, like when climbing. If that's the case, replacing the two u-joints in the double carden joint will cure it, as long as it's not too worn and the ball socket in the middle of the joint also needs to be replaced.

yeah i dont know what it might be cause i do think i have a broken motor mount but i did smash down on my crossmember and bend it pretty bad. i do have a 1 inch drop on the tcase but it got raised a little do you think thios had something to do with it? new HD 1 inch drop crossmemeber will that do it? ohh and my headers are cracked is that cause of a broken motor mount?

Don't rule out the chain in the T-case slipping under load either.

MIke

MDMIKE said:
Don't rule out the chain in the T-case slipping under load either.

MIke

That would make a very loud pop, and only when under great stress, like climbing a ledge or something. If tires can spin the t-case won't likely pop, and if it does it's unmistakable.

I still say check the double carden joint on the front shaft......been there, done that.

allthingsoffroad said:
"ball joint" "double cardon joint" same thing :)

Are you asking?

No, the ball joint and double carden joint aren't close to the same thing. The ball joints are in the steering knuckle, and the double carden joint is on the driveshaft next to the t-case.

I have the same thing going on and i was thinking something like the front control arm bushings. I have checked my u-joints and they seem to be fine.

I have a similar noise. Didn't experience it until putting in my Aussie locker. Most of the guys I wheel with have experienced the same thing and agreed it was the locker.

Prior to the locker, I put in all poly bushings throughout the front end, RE UCA's and LCA's and new ujoints on the axleshafts and driveshaft. Jeep drives better than new, but started making a sort of clunking noise while going up steep inclines right after the locker went in and it definitely appears to be coming from the front axle.

Last edited:
My wifes XJ does the same thing...drivers side motor mount. Pop the hood and watch the motor while someone power brakes it in 4low. Have them get on and off the gas so the motor will rock from the torque as it is applied and released.

i would have to say its the crossmember.. if it started happening after you smashed it. replace it and make sure theres no permenent damage anywhere.
while were on this subject... i decided to dick around one day and made a makeshift ramp and tried to ramp out on it in 4lo (87 manche). the more the front susp flexed i got a weird noise. it was a while ago and i dont recal exactly what it was. maybe it wasnt a noise... like a very small lurching feeling. i figured its becasue my tranny is shot, or maybe the left tire rising was working agasint the rotation of the driveshaft or something. anyone know?

It is VERY hard to diagnose a noise with as vague a description as we have here. It could be anything that gets stressed when there is a load on the drivetrain.......u-joints, motor mounts, trans mount, etc. You have to determine if the noise is at random intervals, is at wheel speed, is at driveline speed, or if it's related to throttle movement or suspension movement.

The one thing that it should not be is the locker. A locker does not make noise when it is engaged, which is when it's under power. A locker can (not necessarily will) make some noise when turning, or an occasional bang, but it won't make a uniform clicking or thumping noise when under power.......at least not unless it's broken. You guys that have described noises after installing a front locker should be looking for what might be worn and showing itself after adding the extra stress of the locker. The locker shouldn't be making any noise.

I had a knocking sound, espcially under load on hills.
On of the people on the trip said he had the same sound when his motor mounts were shot. It did turn out to be the motor mounts. The stock motor mount are know for giving out from heavy (offroad) use.
Since you have bent the cross member it has added a bit more stress on those mounts. Check the tranny mount too.
You can have someone toque the motor and see how much give is in the mounts. Mine were bad enough the I could see the cracks on close inspection.
It's always a goo idea to check the u-joints.

ok so motor mounts, and drive shaft u joints. could it be cause my pinion angle is all jacked up?

If we could hear the noise, it would be very easy to diagnose. The somewhat random thump of a broken motor mount is a very different sound than the tick tick tick of a bad carden joint. A bad driveline angle will show itself as vibrations when on the highway, not when under load in 4wd.

You need to drive it again and check some things out.......this discussion can go on forever and get nowhere.

Back