• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Bilstein 5100 install question

Slonopotam

NAXJA Member #1358
Hi,

I installed 5100 on the front today. When I tried to tighten the top nut, the bolt protruding from the shock started to rotate freely. I noticed there was an internal hex on it, so I held the bolt still with a hex key.

Why was it rotating? Was it some kind of adjustment?

Thank you,
Andrey

The piston in a shock has nothing to prevent it from rotating internally (cylindrical body with a cylindrical piston). All shocks and struts (that have a plain stud top) have some feature on top of them to allow the person installing them to hold it while the nut is tightened. The better aftermarket companies who realize that their products will be installed in garages without the specialized tools used on the assembly line are kind enough to put male/female hexes in the end of the shafts, other companies aren't so nice and puts odd shapes on the end which are next to impossible for the average person to hold and develop proper torque.

Back