• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plastic Radiator

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Anyone had luck repairing the plactic tank of the radiator? I have one that is leaking and I do not want to invest in a new radiator for a month +/- . I may have to run a lower pressure cap and that will be ok for me. The plastic is cracked/broken and leak only when the engine is hot. I need a cheap temporary fix.

Where is it cracked at? I cracked the one on my 2.5L wrangler and as a temp fix emptied the tank, threw some JB Weld on it and let it dry. I called it good and it held up for another 2 months till I sold it.

Repairs rarely work. Get a new radiator installed.

I wouldn't hesitate as depending on the nature of the leak, a small leak can turn into a big leak in a microsecond and then you have bigger fish to try like a tow and possible overheat.

Actually, the radiator is not in an XJ. It is in a 1993 Toyota pickup with a 5 speed and the 22RE engine. The top tank is leaking but only when the engine is hot and pressurized. The JB weld may be a worth a try along with deleting the pressure cap and opting instead to just closing the top of the radiator to keep the water in.

How big is the crack? If it's fairly small you might patch it, but it's tough to patch a leak from the outside, the pressure just pushes it back off.

Any chance you can grab a temporary replacement from the junkyard for cheap?

Those plastic radiators do suck. If they start leaking at the seams on the tanks, it means the glue or rubber seal is shot and it's tough to seal that back up again. Most radiator shop won't try to repair them as the metal finger that crimp the tanks on tend to break.

JB Weld might work if the crack is accessible enough to clean up and epoxy. I'd probably try epoxying a small piece of metal or plastic over the crack to help strengthen it.

The real fix is a new radiator. Radiatorbarn.com has replacements for your Toy with plastic tanks for $92, or all-metal for $129 shipped. Junkyard might be real cheap too, but it would probably be just as plugged up as the one you've got.

Those plastic radiators do suck. If they start leaking at the seams on the tanks, it means the glue or rubber seal is shot and it's tough to seal that back up again. Most radiator shop won't try to repair them as the metal finger that crimp the tanks on tend to break.

JB Weld might work if the crack is accessible enough to clean up and epoxy. I'd probably try epoxying a small piece of metal or plastic over the crack to help strengthen it.

The real fix is a new radiator. Radiatorbarn.com has replacements for your Toy with plastic tanks for $92, or all-metal for $129 shipped. Junkyard might be real cheap too, but it would probably be just as plugged up as the one you've got.

Thanks lawsoncl. The tank is cracked on a flat surface. I will try the JB weld and hope it holds for a month +/- . The all metal replacement would be my first choice for a replacement. I am unemployed and do not want to invest a lot of money at this time. I prefer to invest in the XJ but it is in Miami and I am in Jacksonville, FL. The XJ have not been liscened or insured for 2 years. I was out of the country. I am not sure how long I will remain in the US,...it depends on my ability to find work. The '94 Toy Pup is a gift.

The only problem with no pressure on the system is your boiling point is going to be much lower.

Back