• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Window Help Please!

Drewlee77

NAXJA Forum User
Last night while I was rolling up my driver's side power window, I heard a loud "SNAP!" and my window stopped rolling up (it was about 3/4 up). So I opened up the door today anticipating at least to be able to identify what was broken. Instead, there is nothing aparently broken - it just doesn't work. The motor still turns, the glass is fine, all the bolts I can see are fine, all the plastic seems to be fine... After fiddling with it, the window decided to no longer hold itself up as it had been doing and decided to very slowly lower itself down.
I looked at the PDF version of a FSM I have (well, part of it anyway) and couldn't find anything even remotely helpful - just how to remove the whole thing, which apparently involves also removing the glass.
After some more looking and feeling around I found a weird looking "wire" coming out of one of the tubes leading from the motor. it fed itself out of the tube when I ran the motor, then stopped and I couldn't get it to go back in. In hindsight, I realize this must be the coil that the motor moves and that letting it feed itself all the way out may have been a bad idea. Nonetheless, not thinking of that, I pulled it all the way to figure out what it was...
I have only worked on manual windows before and haven't the slightest clue what I'm doing, so I thought I'd stop before I messed anything up (further). I was hopeing the FSM would be a little more help than it has been.

So what have I broke and how do I fix it? I am very pressed for time - as in, I need this fixed by tommorrow! Help PLEASE!

At least I'm in GA at my parent's house with a few more tools at my disposal! And an actual garage rather than a gravel driveway.

EDIT: btw - I'm assuming the coil isn't supposed to be a full loop? It looks as though it was welded together at the end and has broken, but how would you install it?

Last edited:
Can anyone at least tell me how this thing is suppossed to work? I'm guessing that this coil-wire thing is supposed to attach to something but isn't and that is the problem. But where does it attach? For better or worse, I got it to feed itself back through... but only by removing a torn-up piece of blue plastic from one end.

Does it attach to something at both ends or only one end?

Please? Anyone?

This has been a problem on the newer cherokees. The window motor gear moves a flexible toothed plastic cable (on older charokees the cable is metal). This cable either snaps or looses teeth. The result is the motors spins but is unable to move the window. If you are still under the warranty this is covered. If not check with the jeep parts department for a new cable. You may have to get the whole window motor assembly with the cable and cable tube attached. To fix you have to drill out the aluminum rivets to remove the assembly. Good Luck. Greg

Back