• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it too early? Cofest?

Once BOD decides if they can/want to do both or one, I’ll post the other poll for when. No point in doing it until folks know whether or not there will be another event in Moab later in the year.

Mike, I appreciate your drive on these two events!

How is your knee? Are you back at work?

Mike, I appreciate your drive on these two events!

How is your knee? Are you back at work?

Yeah just trying to help things happen.
No. I won’t be back at work for some time. Surgery went well but rehab is slow and killer.

Trent said he would anchor the Fall Fling in October.

I don't have a comfy routine that lets me schedule time off months in advance. I don't think Tom has the luxury to anchor Colorado Fest. Unless we can "elect" a provisional BOD member to anchor Colorado Fest, I don't see that happening.

Is anyone with discretionary time off willing to represent the Chapter BOD for Colorado Fest?

In my experience, it is already too late to reserve campground space at commercial campgrounds, which has been the modus operandi for all previous Colorado Fests.

Well if that’s the case, I’ll likely hold another Montrose to Moab and back camping trip this summer.

What are we looking for here? It's not clear to me. I have time. What does the BOD want? What resources will the BOD commit? I can make some calls, but I don't see any concurrent activity, except for Mike organizing a trip(which I wish he would, with any luck at all I'll have a working jeep, and a working body.)

Do we still want the usual Buny, commercial campground trip, or something else?

If BOD wants I can start calling the BV area campgrounds to see what availability there is. Personally I’d prefer mid-August time frame, at least that’s what my calendar is telling me right now.

I just started a new contract and hope to find out when I can get free this week.

Yep was super fun and more of a camping trip and wheeling than a formal event. Which made it very enjoyable.

Hypoid: I had some suggestions each day for trails and the group said yes, no, or we'll go on our own. We reserved a picnic shelter one night for the dinner and raffle each year, but other evenings the people were on their own.

In my experience, it is already too late to reserve campground space at commercial campgrounds, which has been the modus operandi for all previous Colorado Fests.

What are we looking for here? It's not clear to me. I have time. What does the BOD want? What resources will the BOD commit? I can make some calls, but I don't see any concurrent activity, except for Mike organizing a trip(which I wish he would, with any luck at all I'll have a working jeep, and a working body.)

Do we still want the usual Buny, commercial campground trip, or something else?

If BOD wants I can start calling the BV area campgrounds to see what availability there is. Personally I’d prefer mid-August time frame, at least that’s what my calendar is telling me right now.

I really like that this is coming from the ground up, as opposed to being pushed from the top down.

If you are looking for parameters, mid-July through mid August is the perfect time frame for cruising the high mountains of Colorado. We don't have to build the "biggest, baddest, evar!!!" That has been tried, repeatedly, with the same results.

Fred, I remember some of the grief you experienced setting these up in the past. The pay-to-camp spots are becoming less and less accommodating. If they can't reserve sites for a dozen campers, ask where a dozen campers can get a hot shower.

Past that, "shut the door open!"

So you are saying Buena Vista, and a commercial campground? Late July tends to work best for folks with kids.

Fred, I am saying to check availability from mid-July through mid-August. Keep in mind the MHJC "All 4 Fun" event is the last week of July.

Arrowhead Point would love to have us. I'll have to call to nail down dates, but Cathy remembers us fondly.

I see all for fun is the 27th thru 8/3. Do we want a whole week, long weekend, midweek? Who's setting up the thread in the Event forum?

Yes. We've done the check in and pay separate for some time. The only point to not doing it is for the chapter to make extra money, and it's not worth the effort. As for the other, it's the first I've ever heard of it. Find another place.

Well spoken Fred.

You, Mr. Lopez, and Mr. Freeman make one hell of a committee!

In discussing chapter events with other BOD members, we agree that something along the lines of a 4-day weekend is fine. If it is Wednesday through Saturday, or Friday through Monday should depend on the people who actually want to attend.

One of the finer points we have to keep in mind is that the "kids" who had to register for school, have grown up and have "kids" of their own. Life kind of snuck up on us.

For myself, I hope to be entrenched in my next career by then.

Yes. We've done the check in and pay separate for some time. The only point to not doing it is for the chapter to make extra money, and it's not worth the effort. As for the other, it's the first I've ever heard of it. Find another place.

Fred, hopefully they have changed things back to the way they used to. Last time I headed it up there I went back and forth with them, since I was trying to pay for X number of campsites to cover for a bit and red letter members, and allow people to come in without wondering what was going on. That got shot down by them and they strictly told us no one could show up after dark, that if they can't check in, they can't stay there that night, etc. It was rather frustrating given we were literally trying to give them money, and there were people planning on leaving work to come down, but weren't sure if they were going to have a place to stay. We nearly called off COFest because of it. I cant commit to any date having a wee one...but I'd at least try to show up for the weekend.

I'll be sure to bring up the late check in. I guess that would be one reason for the chapter to collect the fees and pay the campground.

Back