• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust down pipe

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
I need to fix some exhaust parts and my down pipe has ovaled, so I'm looking into replacing it.

I don't think I want to buy the whole thing if I don't have to.

What have you all used if you've replaced just the connector portion?

Thank you for any ideas/ recommendations

I like that the fleabay one doesn't have the stock kink/ crushed spot...

Another vote for the Ebay unit, it's cheap and get you to the cat!

I would do that, there's actual a similar one that's a bit smoother on ebay, and just a little more money, but I already burned the catalytic converter on. If I bought that down tube I'd be cutting it in half pretty much.

You have a cat before the cross member right? The down pipe connection to the header, has a little doughnut right? The piece you pictured with a new doughnut should be good... for the effort though (mating and welding it to your downpipe after cutting it) might be worth the full down pipe to lose the crushed factory part and then just cut and mate it to your cat?

You have a cat before the cross member right? The down pipe connection to the header, has a little doughnut right? The piece you pictured with a new doughnut should be good... for the effort though (mating and welding it to your downpipe after cutting it) might be worth the full down pipe to lose the crushed factory part and then just cut and mate it to your cat?

The cat is after the cross member, and yes the down pipe has a donut. In my case its a banks gasket and its not the same as the stock ones. I'm not sure if its specially made or simply a step up for their header, but ide like to have a downpipe that will match the ID the header is kicking out. Ill have to measure a spare gasket I have, but iirc its 2.25 ID out. the stock down pipe goes from 2" OD to 2.5" OD before the cat. Depending on how much some exhaust pieces cost to build that elbow from the down pipe, it certainly could be cheaper to buy the premade. Still a bit to look into as I just welded on everything after the cat, again.

Not sure if you are still working on this. I bought a complete stainless steel down pipe off eBay from Northeastern Exhaust. Found a someone on here doing the same thing and tracked down his parts list. I have not installed mine yet but it looks good, its mandrel bent, has a bung welded in it for the O2 and it does not have the factory kink in it. I am going to add a flex style coupling in it to try and keep it from breaking my header. https://www.ebay.com/itm/174147556494

Not sure if you are still working on this. I bought a complete stainless steel down pipe off eBay from Northeastern Exhaust. Found a someone on here doing the same thing and tracked down his parts list. I have not installed mine yet but it looks good, its mandrel bent, has a bung welded in it for the O2 and it does not have the factory kink in it. I am going to add a flex style coupling in it to try and keep it from breaking my header. https://www.ebay.com/itm/174147556494

Do the 99's have an O2 sensor in that pipe? I haven't looked at my Jeep but looking at the '99 FSM, it doesn't show one.

Thank you for the link, I have seen this before. Hopefully I can get away with a cheaper option,but that has been my backup if I cannot.

Yes they have an upstream 02 in the down pipe and down stream after the cat.

Back