• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 ZJ gas tank in a 2K XJ

Jb aught to cover it? although, something like that (with fumes a concern) I'd expect you (of all people) to bite the bullet and get another sending unit from the jy??

There is no "sending unit" and the roll-over valve can't be replaced on my XJ tank. For the ZJ tank I have 2 new roll-over valves and 2 new seals coming! The nipple on my XJ tank was repaired with brass tubing epoxied inside the nipple and main body.

I received my new pump lock ring and seal and 2 rollover valves/seals today, I'm still deciding whether or not to order a new pump as my original is 3yrs old now. In the mean time I've dumped a gallon of pure alcohol is the tank to help clean out the crack and I plan to take it to the shop for repair tomorrow. I've got a full tank in the XJ now and will have to burn all that off before I can re-install the ZJ tank!

I've got a new fuel pump coming tomorrow, I figured at 150$ it was cheap insurance to not do this again for a while plus I could leave my XJ tank "plug-in" ready if something happens to the ZJ tank!

I got the new roll-over valve installed plus a block-off plate made for any pressure testing at the welding shop as I'm dropping it off tomorrow. I did receive my new pump so everything is ready to go when I get the tank back.
P1090211.JPG

P1090212.JPG

Wow, today was a "trip down memory road"! Monday I dropped off the tank with the owner of the shop, today I picked it up only to find out I grew up with him and went to high school together (50 yrs ago) so I got a lifetime warranty included!

Today I started on my skid plate, I'm going to widen it by +1/2" so there is no pressure on the tank.
P1090214.JPG

I cut and widen my skid plate so it would fit on the out side of my Smittybilt Bumper brackets so if I have a problem with the fuel pump I don't have to remove the bumper and it will also give my ZJ fuel more room when I install it .

I cut and widen my skid plate so it would fit on the out side of my Smittybilt Bumper brackets so if I have a problem with the fuel pump I don't have to remove the bumper and it will also give my ZJ fuel more room when I install it .

That's unreal, I have 3 friends here that bought a SB and now hate it! Number one complaint is the weight so I've got that way beat(104 lbs) plus my bumper mounts inside the framerails and even my relocation brackets are above my skid plate.
P1080978.JPG

P1080979.JPG

P1080980.JPG

Just wanted to pop in here and thank you guys for this thread (and the other one linked to).

I just finished this ZJ tank swap on my daughters 2001.

I did not go full out and extend the breather with a copper line, but...

I did drill out the vent and this alone netted her an additional 1.5 gallons.

So.... 23 gallon ZJ tank + drilled vent (+1.5) and we scored 24.5 gallons.

Also installed the ZJ gas tank skid and cut an access door in the floor in case I ever need to get in there.

Very happy with the results!

Just wanted to pop in here and thank you guys for this thread (and the other one linked to).

Also installed the ZJ gas tank skid and cut an access door in the floor in case I ever need to get in there.

All the best mods. Need to do this with my new build for sure.

Funny to bring this back up because I also referenced this thread and completed a ZJ tank and skid install last year. Already had to do a fuel pump, so this was a "well, I'm already in there so I might as well!" type of mod. I didn't do any vent mods, so its 23 gallons for me.

First time out wheeling after the install I came down HARD on my tank skid and bent it up into a frowny face. Its now touching the bottom of the tank. Fortunately the skid took the impact and didn't damage my fuel pump. Lesson learned: the ZJ skid isn't beefy enough for abuse. Its only .100" thick.

You can do the vent later..... but it's worth it on the long trail run or just to skip the blips in gas prices. In town I may fill up every six weeks!

First time out wheeling after the install I came down HARD on my tank skid and bent it up into a frowny face. Its now touching the bottom of the tank. Fortunately the skid took the impact and didn't damage my fuel pump. Lesson learned: the ZJ skid isn't beefy enough for abuse. Its only .100" thick.
Yes that is a very high probability for denting the skidplate on a rig built for harder offroad trails. The skid is thin, as you mentioned, and doesn't have much in the way of ribbing or bends for structural support. In our case, my daughter's XJ is a daily driver and I just never like having the gas tank exposed for ANY reason, one being it is easy for thieves to simply drill the plastic tank to steal the gas. The skid at least makes it a little harder to do that, and protects it somewhat from other impacts. For reference, on ours there is about a 1" gap between the skid and the tank, so it can bend upward some before contacting the tank.

Yes that is a very high probability for denting the skidplate on a rig built for harder offroad trails. The skid is thin, as you mentioned, and doesn't have much in the way of ribbing or bends for structural support. In our case, my daughter's XJ is a daily driver and I just never like having the gas tank exposed for ANY reason, one being it is easy for thieves to simply drill the plastic tank to steal the gas. The skid at least makes it a little harder to do that, and protects it somewhat from other impacts. For reference, on ours there is about a 1" gap between the skid and the tank, so it can bend upward some before contacting the tank.
The quick fix for this is to add some strips of 1/2" angle iron to the bottom!

The range improvement from the ZJ tank swap and vent mod has been one of my favorites.....(pumping in 27 gals of fuel into an empty tank @ $4.25/gallon, not a so much)

2pbeAbb

2pb7Der

2pbccXt

Got the ZJ tank in my XJ without too much trouble but I am having an issue not mentioned by anyone. The tank is hitting the muffler heat shield. Did anyone else run into this issue?

I don't even recall one but I have been running a factory skid for 20yrs! Sounds like a easy fix though with a little bending.

2pbeAbb

2pb7Der

2pbccXt

Got the ZJ tank in my XJ without too much trouble but I am having an issue not mentioned by anyone. The tank is hitting the muffler heat shield. Did anyone else run into this issue?

I think I modified my heat shield, IIRC.

Actually wait, no. I forgot to install the heat shield before installing the tank skid. Instead of removing the bolts from the tank skid to slide the heat shield in, I opted to weld the heat shield to the tank skid.

Back