NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 4th, 2014, 18:33
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Power lock problems on '99 XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
The first thing to do is to clean and lubricate the locking and latching mechanisms. Use throttle body cleaner and a light oil. I prefer a CLP type gun oil with a long lasting cleaner additive.
I pulled my 97 front passenger side actuator apart to clean and lube and found it to be horrible to reassemble. I don't remember exactly but something about a spring under tension and a rotating piece that kept popping off before I could get a covering plate on it. Took forever for the universe to align and have it all go back together it seemed.
Old August 5th, 2014, 15:32
Freakish Hand Strength

I just spray the cleaner into the whole deal, work the mechanism while spraying, and let it dribble out the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....

Last edited by Tim_MN; February 10th, 2019 at 07:51.
Old September 30th, 2015, 15:02
NAXJA Forum User

I know I'm reviving this thread, but I was having very similar issues with my '00 XJ. I replaced the DDM and PDM, repaired wiring, checked fuses, etc. all to no avail. I was at a total loss. Finally I read somewhere that someone had a wire shorted under the dome light assembly. So I thought "What the heck, might as well check it out." So I take it down and lo and behold, my XJ was born with keyless entry. I proceed to unplug it and try the locks, and they work correctly. No more bound up actuators, tweaker locks or anything. I just don't have operational keyless entry on a vehicle I never knew had it in the first place. The best I can figure is that the receiver shorted out to the unlock circuit and was keeping the actuators in the unlock position, effectively disabling the locking mechanism. Couldn't rock the lock/unlock button or lock with the key. Hope this helps!
Old February 10th, 2019, 07:46
Degenerate Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimdude85 View Post
I was at a total loss. Finally I read somewhere that someone had a wire shorted under the dome light assembly.
Now this is interesting.

Yesterday, on my Ď99 Limited I found the interior was damp following recent rains. Iím not sure if the door seals have started to leak or if I had left the windows open a crack. When I went to drive it, the door lock actuators started going crazy, intermittently trying to lock and unlock the back doors. I also had water dripping from the overhead console, which I assumed was condensation from the general dampness. I had no idea the issues could be related. I guess I need to take the console out and try to see whatís going on up there.