NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 3rd, 2019, 20:53
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Renix distributor rotational play limits?

My transmission is a brand new gearbox from japan with a luk pro gold clutch.

It always felt notchy and i would really pay attention to how i shifted it.

Before doing the dist reindex i was actually looking at getting a hurst shifter and/or taking the tranny apart for new syncros(already running mt90).
But seriously after the reindex its like new!!!
Old February 3rd, 2019, 21:18
NAXJA Forum User

Yep. There were tons of them set wrong from the factory.
Old February 4th, 2019, 21:07
NAXJA Forum User

The thing that gets me the most is how something so detrimental to performance doesnt have more exposure.

I mean i alaways heard yea do the reindex on cruisers site but didnt really think it was that big a deal.

If there had been more exposure to the symptoms one may have if the dist isnt reindexed i wouldve done it along time ago.

For instance if i knew this had such a detrimental effect on tranny shifting i wouldve put the puzzle pieces together alot sooner.

There seems to be a void somewhere in the symptoms to look for while chasing your tail trying to resolve them concerning the reindex on renix jeeps.

Trust me i spend hours learning things about these jeeps and cant believe the shifting issue never was brought to light to me....always thought it was more of a engine power/performance thing.
Old February 4th, 2019, 21:10
NAXJA Forum User

Off my soap box now and make no mistake i point no fingers in this.
Just know if you have a renix jeep and it shifts notchy and bucks after letting out the clutch CHECK YOU DIST INDEX!
Wonder how many have damned their transmission syncros and it was an index problem all along?
Old February 4th, 2019, 21:23
NAXJA Forum User

As with most of my Tips, they should just be done.
The whole idea is to get the vehicle into shape and eliminate problems you will now never have.

I prioritized them the best I could at the time, but maybe dizzy indexing should be prioritized by you guys and gals. I remember the factory had a hell of a time pinpointing it. We had one customer that drove us nuts with a slight jerking issue. It ended up being indexing of the dizzy.
Old February 4th, 2019, 23:15
NAXJA Forum User

was the customers vehicle a manual trans?
Also can i look foward to any fuel mpg increase now that ive reindexed the dist?
Believe it or not ive owned this 89 XJ since 2001 and was never quite happy with the way it performed until now
Thank you for putting the info out their cruiser!!!
Old February 5th, 2019, 05:04
NAXJA Forum User

It was an auto trans. When the trans got into 4th/OD and the torque converter locked up is when he felt it.
Old February 9th, 2019, 09:32
NAXJA# 2091

It would be more noticeable at low rpm with no torque converter slip, like up shifting a manual to the higher gears or in OD-with a locked TC on an auto.

Folks should also check the rotor for any rotational play on the shaft/gear. My new Distributor has none, zero-nada-none at all, my 89 white 4x4 has almost a 1/4" of slop (have not really gotten it on the road yet, still a work in progress, 3rd spare back up lol) but the one that had the shear pin totally die had a good 3/8" of play days before the shear pin sheared and failed.

Can't help but wonder if the limited early slop (1/4" versus 3/8") hides the Indexing problem some, just before it sheers and goes to back fire-puke madness operation level and wakes up the neighbors, LOL

But you are right from what I have seen the last year, it does affect low rpm high gear ignition with no slip in the TC/clutch system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlander View Post
Off my soap box now and make no mistake i point no fingers in this.
Just know if you have a renix jeep and it shifts notchy and bucks after letting out the clutch CHECK YOU DIST INDEX!
Wonder how many have damned their transmission syncros and it was an index problem all along?
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old February 9th, 2019, 14:27
NAXJA Forum User

Mine has some play in it.

Reading your post about slop and possible sheared pin prompted me to drift out my roll pin just to rule it out and it was one piece intact....guess the slop is from the dist/cam helix gears being worn slightly

I'm of the opinion that once you set the .20 cleareance and the gear is in mesh its good..I'm trying to imagine during operation if the rotor can bounce back and forth even though its driven and in mesh.

One thing i did do as i was rotating the motor for tdc i left the rotor meshed the way it was driven when i set the .20 clearance.