NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 7th, 2019, 17:10
NAXJA Forum User

Exhaust Flange

So I purchased some so called "direct fit" exhaust parts. The walker 53440 front pipe that crosses over from one side of the truck to the other has some odd 3-hole flange on it. I had a Magnaflow universal cat already boy the standard 3-hole flange adaptors don't match up to the walker flange.

I can weld a standard flange on the walker pipe or try to find or make a 3-hole adaptor for my universal cat. Anyone know what this walker flange is called?
Old February 7th, 2019, 17:11
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Exhaust Flange

here is a link

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog...g-lookup/53440
Old February 8th, 2019, 01:16
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrabow View Post
So I purchased some so called "direct fit" exhaust parts. The walker 53440 front pipe that crosses over from one side of the truck to the other has some odd 3-hole flange on it. I had a Magnaflow universal cat already boy the standard 3-hole flange adaptors don't match up to the walker flange.

I can weld a standard flange on the walker pipe or try to find or make a 3-hole adaptor for my universal cat. Anyone know what this walker flange is called?
So what year XJ do you have? Cause that is a '00 or '01 pipe. Thinking for a build date of after 1/00. Not sure about that though. I am aware of an Walker adapter to put a slip on muffler behind the stock rear cat but not one to connect that down pipe to a slip on cat.
Old February 8th, 2019, 16:46
NAXJA Forum User

its a 00 xj. Rather than welding a standard 3 hole flange onto the exhaust pipe I would prefer to weld up a flange to the front of the cat. If I could just find this odd ass flange I would be all set.
Old February 9th, 2019, 01:17
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrabow View Post
its a 00 xj. Rather than welding a standard 3 hole flange onto the exhaust pipe I would prefer to weld up a flange to the front of the cat. If I could just find this odd ass flange I would be all set.
If I understand you correctly I have never seen an adapter that will match the flange at the end of that down pipe. Only thing that comes to mind is you finding an '00 in the boneyard with the rear cat on it and stealing the front flange off that.
Problems I picture trying to do that are pretty sure a boneyard can't sell a used cat. Even if you had an in chances are they were already removed for scrap cause of their worth so finding one could be difficult. Not to mention if that idea would even work.
Old February 9th, 2019, 06:48
Freakish Hand Strength

Naturally, the simplest solution is to buy a direct fit cat. Otherwise, find a mating flange, or a matched pair of flanges, from someplace like Summit ( https://www.summitracing.com/search/...haust-flanges? ) and install them both, or stop by your local exhaust shop, they will either have what you want, or will be able to fabricate something that will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....

Last edited by Tim_MN; February 9th, 2019 at 07:11.
Old February 16th, 2019, 06:21
NAXJA Member

Exhaust Flange

Hit an exhaust shop. They can cut n weld a new flange. Take your old pipe if you have it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk