• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan won't shut off

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My stock auxilary fan stopped working.
I bought a new one at AutoZone and put it in.

NOW- the new fan doesn't always shut off when I turn the XJ off. My coolant temp is around 190° so there is no reason for the fan to stay on, I have to pull the plug on it to get it to turn off. It has run over 20 minutes, without shutting off, so now I just pull the plug

Also, if I am running the A/C and turn off A/C, the fan still runs.

If the XJ is ice cold, like in the AM and I run the XJ for 10 minutes, this doesn't happen.

I replaced the coolant temp sensor in the water pump housing and no change to condition.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks,
JP

I can only think that the fan you got was not a true OEM replacement fan for the year of your XJ. There have been 5 or 6 different types of fans throughout the XJ model years. When I had to replace mine, I had to go through many pages of sites to find the right fan.

The fan relay is likely sticky. When your last fan failed it may have cooked the contacts in the relay.

8Mud said:
The fan relay is likely sticky. When your last fan failed it may have cooked the contacts in the relay.
X2
Did you get The XJ use? If so the other owner may have installed a fuse of higher rating then intended for the fan/relay. A common Band-Aid to "get home" or sell it off before the motor goes all together. A fused relay and bad motor with out blowing the fuse sure sound like a big fuse to me.

Where is the fan relay in a '97 ?

Thanks-
Jeff-97XJ

It's in the Power Distribution Center (PDC), in the engine bay. Look at the relay schematic, under the cover of the PDC to determine which relay it is.

While your fan is running, gently tap the relay with screw driver handle. Sometimes, that will temporarily "unstick" the relay and shut the fan off....

It's in the Power Distribution Center (PDC), in the engine bay. Look at the relay schematic, under the cover of the PDC to determine which relay it is.

While your fan is running, gently tap the relay with screw driver handle. Sometimes, that will temporarily "unstick" the relay and shut the fan off....

IVAN-
You are the man !!!
Your suggestion worked perfectly.
I turned off the XJ and the fan kept running.
I found and tapped on the relay and the fan shut off.
I went by NAPA and $15 and 2 minutes later I had the new relay in.
Now the fan is acting like it should.
Thanks for the great idea.
Jeff-97XJ

Back