• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What can be done to make WF better?

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
I know there was a group from NAXJA that showed up and wheeled but "were not part of WF". OK, whatever. Kinda lame in my book but, whatever floats your boat. I thought the whole idea is to support NAXJA and your club. Why one would choose to not do that is beyond me. So.......

What can we do to make everyone "be part of WF" so to speak. The purpose of this is not to start an argument. If there is something we can do to improve WF, I want to hear it. Now, just because a suggestion is made, does not mean that it will happen. I'm open ears here. Keep it civilized as possible here, this is not a pissing match. If it turns into a pissing match, it'll be gone.

Hale

Last edited:
Hale,
I think that you and the rest of the guys (and gals) did a GREAT job of putting things together. I wish that I would have had a chance to get around more of the members and put names and faces together. I know at lunch on Saturday that there were the name tags for everyone, but if people would have actually put their name on their tags it would have helped. I know that you said it was mainly so that outsiders would not scrounge up the food, and I understand that. If we would have had name tags that had our name and screen name that would have been beneficial to me. On the flip side of the coin, if I would have got my lazy ass to Saturday nights fire I probably would have been able to meet a lot more of the guys (and gals).

It was a great time and I am looking foward to next years WF as well as other gatherings over the next year. It was good to meet ya and look forward to the next outing-

I'm the one that dropped the ball with the name tags. I forgot about them. They were supposed to be given out when Mark had you got your shirts and signed your life away. The idea was to write names on them at that point.....BUT,.....I forgot I had them. We will do name tags next year, with names.

You were missed at the campfire. The sheep scared you off didn't they.:D

Haleyes said:
You were missed at the campfire. The sheep scared you off didn't they.:D

HAHA!! How did you know?? Well, I am not sure it f it was scared or excited ;) I wish I would have just sacked up and come on over, but after we had everything loaded we were ready to crash and roll out early the next morning. Next year wifey and I will roll together and WILL make it to the fire both nights.

I think it went great. It was my first time and all but.... I understand the aggravation of non-members getting all the benefits of members. Really no way to stop it. Exept asking for the membership card when they get there. Even then the only thing they would miss would be the dinner and group runs.

Mike, I thought it was a fantastic event.:thumbup:
I wish I could have hung out around the fire a bit longer but I had made some plans that I couldn't back out of for the next morning.
Thanks, for introducing yourself at supper, good to match a mug with the name. Yeah, the name tags would have been good, but I probably wouldn't have remembered them all anyway. I'll be back for the next one for sure, only I'll plan on not having to drive away from the fire and fun !!!

Haleyes said:
I know there was a group from NAXJA that showed up and wheeled but "were not part of WF". OK, whatever. Kinda lame in my book but, whatever floats your boat. I thought the whole idea is to support NAXJA and your club. Why one would choose to not do that is beyond me. So.......

What can we do to make everyone "be part of WF" so to speak. The purpose of this is not to start an argument. If there is something we can do to improve WF, I want to hear it. Now, just because a suggestion is made, does not mean that it will happen. I'm open ears here. Keep it civilized as possible here, this is not a pissing match. If it turns into a pissing match, it'll be gone.

Hale

Okay, I wasn't going to get into this with 'the cool kids' but I guess I just can't resist the toss of the gauntlet...

I and about 7 others from my local club showed up to run WF since "it's open to members and NON MEMBERS were welcomed. We over slept, as some of us are proned to do and by the time we got some breakfest and made it to the event we could see that the Orange group were already heading down the trail. Okay no big deal we'll just catch up....our mistake #1. First time we catch up a couple in our group got a verbal lesson on the coolness factor of being a NAXJA member and how uncool we were 'cause blah blah blah. My young buddy is a great guy w/lots of patients (sp?) and is very easy going went back and forth w/young Mr. Coolness. Me, I just walked away 'cause at my age I just don't have the let-it-be attitude and it's best that I ignore the kiddy stuff. Fine, no problems. Let a guy in a nice built red rig pass us so he could join up with the real wheelers. He did smile and wave at us and said thanks for letting him by. ( I hope this doesn't cause you to loose face w/the cool kids in the group, Red) so we mosey on trying to stay back since there was a problem w/us (I have a CB too so I heard the remarks). Next time we caught up w/the group...sos. "you need to be NAXJA or blah blah blah" again I just stayed w/my people and played by ourselves. It's amazing how many will actually ignore you or make a snide remark about the membership thingy. And that's how the day went.
Now I'm not whining and I'm not saying 'bad NAXJA' because there are some down home people that I have met through the years that are members of NAXJA and I would hang w/them any day of the week. THESE are the folks that made me red. Not some kid w/his idea of what's cool and what's not.

So, my friendly suggestion for any other event, now that you have the facts straight as to 'that group' is when you make the event invite open to all members and non members alike, you actually mean it and you go out of your way to treat the non members w/respect. That's how you get people to join. It took me a while before I would shell out the membership. Not because I'm cheap, I mean I spent about what the membership is at that friggin steakhouse outside of town, it was because everytime I thought "what the heck" I'll sign up some knob would pipe up and make me change my mind.

Well, there goes my lunch time. LOL! Please take this as my opinion and not with any resentment because that is not why I posted this.

Steve

mcnamaag said:
I think it went great. It was my first time and all but.... I understand the aggravation of non-members getting all the benefits of members. Really no way to stop it. Exept asking for the membership card when they get there. Even then the only thing they would miss would be the dinner and group runs.

Well, that's really a non-issue. Non members are welcome. It's the show up, not register, and expect to wheel with the WF group. It's the they didn't sign their life away like the rest of the WF group that not good.

If they didnt' want to attend the dinner, say so. We'd have taken that off of the registratinon price. Dont' want a Tshirt? Say so, you won't pay for it. Don't want to eat some kick ass Attica food with the rest of the group? Speak up, you won't have to pay for that.

I think noobs should have to do the truffle shuffle to get into the campfire......

BRIANHO13 said:
I think noobs should have to do the truffle shuffle to get into the campfire......

Noted.

Haleyes said:
If they didnt' want to attend the dinner, say so. We'd have taken that off of the registratinon price. Dont' want a Tshirt? Say so, you won't pay for it. Don't want to eat some kick ass Attica food with the rest of the group? Speak up, you won't have to pay for that.

Maybe next year's signup can include options like that; those that want the full meal deal can do it, and those that want to pick and choose what they pay for can do that also.

Other than that, I think it went well. This was my first WF, but everything seemed to run pretty smooth.

....on that note about the registration..
Up until the last few days we didn't think we would make it. When we all made our minds up to come we just did. I take blame for not checking the boards about what to do since I've registered at other events at the event so I thought no problem. I am sorry for this mistake.

Some things never change. (think about it)
I didn't pay, but if you give me a total for my wheeling with no t-shirt, no dinner, and no free lunch, I will gladly Paypal the amount.
Maybe I owe Hale for one bite of venison Friday evening?
Regrettably, I may owe JCR for a snack-sized bag of Lays.
I brought my own sandwich for Saturday lunch, and did my own thing Saturday night so as to not be a distraction.
My purpose was to see old friends and wheel my Jeep.
I did that and then some, and pitched in wherever I could to help out.
No scenes, no drama, and no t-shirt.
:greensmok

WI88XJ said:
....on that note about the registration..
Up until the last few days we didn't think we would make it. When we all made our minds up to come we just did. I take blame for not checking the boards about what to do since I've registered at other events at the event so I thought no problem. I am sorry for this mistake.

You still could have registed at the Badlands. We really didn't advertise that fact I suppose. That's why I started this thread.

Pre-registration makes it much, much easier for us. We know how many to tell the caterer we need to feed, how many tshirts to order and stuff like that.

See you next year!

Hale

Haleyes said:

Hale
that asshole running the raffle could remember the box with all the gift certificates and paperwork.....!!!1

bgcntry72 said:
No scenes, no drama....
:greensmok

The best part.

It was good to see you Scott.

How about we include a pack of cigarettes next year?

Haleyes said:
You still could have registed at the Badlands. We really didn't advertise that fact I suppose. That's why I started this thread.

Pre-registration makes it much, much easier for us. We know how many to tell the caterer we need to feed, how many tshirts to order and stuff like that.

See you next year!

Hale

Like Scott, we didn't go to the catered event. Hence the steakhouse remark I made. You guys were already heading out to the trail so I didn't think there would be anyone to register with... again my mistake for 'figgerin'.:D

I'm going to get fired if I don't get off this board!!

Back