• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got home/ Carnage report

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
I got home about 40 min after leaving crawfords :)
Seems that on helicopter pad I sheared the drivers side leaf spring center pin and main leaf, lucky it held together...put lots of pressure on the steering this weekend and despite a MORE steering brace and home made steering box reinforcing plate I wound up with a ~3" crack in the subframe under the steering box...standard stuff I guess...with my pre-existing rear suspension problems it looks like a link suspension is in my xj's future...
Wife jeep is unfazed apparently...still no dents or scratches on the remaining sheet metal....
Looks like the 7 year old daughter got chickenpox...funny huh? up to 20% of people who have been vaccinated still can get chickenpox...syptoms dont show up for 10-21 days after exposure so she had it while we were at the camp out since the syptoms didnt show up until last night...

just got back.
amazingly the MJ will still do 80 on the highway no problems.
canage:
passenger side mirror/marker/fender
my rear bumper is totally jacked
both bedsides are wasted
passenger side rear shock is mangled
both rockers are hosed.

suspension held up well though, drivetrain is A-OK too.

good time fellas. We'l be back in the fall.

You amazed me when you got up lower 2 87manche.

Mikes rock rails saved me from any bad damage. My front driverside fender flare is pulled off a little and other than that and a few scratchs on my passange side nothing much at all. It was alot of fun guys, i'll see you all in the fall

It took me only four hours to drive home with no brakes and driving 65 to 70.
Tellico07040.jpg

The only carnage :rear main seal is gone and brakes are gone.

Preliminary report: Valve cover gasket, I still think it blew out on the trail the first day! DS Ujoint, tree stump! Fuel filter got clogged from all the beating the xj got I think. Flat alcan ps leaf. That is 2 alcans I have killed now! Cracked tb axle mount, cracked pitman arm, ps rear axle is about to separate from the leaf. (Lennie and I discovered that when we loaded it on the trailer) I think that is it. I'll try to post up some pictures of the cracks tomorrow.

Pics for us sickly folks unable to attend?

:D

Just arrived back in FL , no carnage to report ( since we where rig less this year , just copiloting). Had a GREAT TIME!
Hope everyone who attended got home safe.

See ya next year ( And we will bring heeps next time:party:

Oh yah. Smacked the axle/control arms so hard on slickrocks upper ledge that my windshield cracked...pretty neat

Carmine you all should have taken GREEN up there!! I didn't know you were even going for sure...man we missed it!! Oh well...hopefully next year.

043500 said:
Carmine you all should have taken GREEN up there!! I didn't know you were even going for sure...man we missed it!! Oh well...hopefully next year.

I actualy though of that ( bout half way up there ) We decided to go last minute, so I didnt even have time to call ya.

Scratches on the rock rails, couple of scratches on the bottom of the 8.8, one smashed driver's mirror housing (mirror is still good, I just can't see out of it).

Gonna wash it off today so I can check for anything that might be hiding. All that beating and banging on lower 2 might have tweaked something, but I did 80 all the way home and she ran just fine.

Heep 1, Lower 2 0 :D

crawfords garden... DPG belly pan powder coat finally crisoned, LCA axle brackets look like fried bologna, minus two wheel weights, and nice wrinkles in the wheel beed that will now double as a bottle opener,
Lower 2... 30 diff guard no longer powder coated but granite coated, rear 8.25 lip and guard took a thrashin but hey that's what you get on bagged down 33s.
other misc bumps and bruises.
cudos to michelle tony and chris for spottin lower 2 that was my first time up and you guys made it a cake walk.
I have great video of nearly everyone in that group coming up would love to make some copies and get it out some how
Curt

I for sure need a copy of that last bit going up lower 2.
any chance of getting youtube on that?

damn, brother was logged in here on the work machine, this is 87.

RedHeep said:
I for sure need a copy of that last bit going up lower 2.
any chance of getting youtube on that?

damn, brother was logged in here on the work machine, this is 87.

Wow, I posted and wasn't even on the computer.

Sometimes I impress myself.

body side tracbar end snapped, but the fix held up just fine (thanks to cabz for the hacking)... need to look under it sometime this week and see what else is injured.

Greenlantern said:
body side tracbar end snapped, but the fix held up just fine (thanks to cabz for the hacking)... need to look under it sometime this week and see what else is injured.

OK...that means Carmine has to fix a trac bar at every crawl from here on...he fixed mine last year (and it's still holding strong!)

Man I wish we'd been there!!

Back