NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Midwest Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Midwest Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 222 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2014, 03:31
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanR View Post
I got my tank used with 60% in it (500 gallon tank) just after Christmas I had it filled they put 300 gallons in it. I checked it last night it still has 60%. My house is brand new with super insulation, very good windows and a 95+ furnace. I am thinking I will be able to heat this place for less than $800.00 per year.
I plan on putting a wood burner in the basement this year too.
My house was built in 1850 with some of the original single pane windows. Needless to say its a bit drafty Furnace has been updated with a 91 but its pointless because all of the duct work is under the house in the cold zone uninsulated. Id say we probably went through $1000 for the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy91 View Post
How many put a little bead of rtv on gaskets when putting them on? Getting ready to do water pump and don't know if its really necessary. Most of the time I do but what is everyone's opinion

I use permatex aviation type sealant or gasket shellac on a regular basis. Clean the surface of the old material really good, then brake clean both parts smear the shellac on the wp then stick the gasket then shellac the gasket and stick it.

Flex can you pull the cover off and spin the needle back to zero?

Replaced my 6 year old Autocraft silver battery from Advance last week. Started the jeep just fine through the worst cold snap earlier this month but finally let go last week.
Old January 30th, 2014, 05:08
NAXJA Forum User

Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutkastBoss View Post
It didn't say champion anywhere but why do you say that? I had heard good things about champion besides minor fitment issues .

(I have the CSF)

I bought one. It leaked after a couple months. Had a warranty but they were out of stock so they gave me my money back. I bought a CSF.

After watching a few radiator threads I found out this was a common issue with them and many more people were having the same problem. Another thing I found out...and this really surprised me is that an aluminum radiator can not be repaired like a copper one can. If they break in a place that can't be tig welded they can't be easily brazed.
Old January 30th, 2014, 05:57
Want to puff on my pipe?

Re: Re: Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboy87 View Post
My house was built in 1850 with some of the original single pane windows. Needless to say its a bit drafty Furnace has been updated with a 91 but its pointless because all of the duct work is under the house in the cold zone uninsulated. Id say we probably went through $1000 for the year.
You mean so far this winter, or total for the season?
Old January 30th, 2014, 09:39
NAXJA Forum User

Back to the van again. Put a good battery in it (it is used, but correct size unlike the bad one). It ran from my moms house to my house (1/2 mile) and when I was leaving my house, I put it in reverse and it died. I was able to get it into a neighbors drive. It ran okay in park and neutral, but not in forward or reverse. I am now thinking it is a fuel issue (hopefully a filter or moisture in gas).
Old January 30th, 2014, 09:41
NAXJA Forum User

Take it to a mechanic.
Old January 30th, 2014, 09:50
NAXJA Member #120

Filled the LJ up yesterday. Hadn't put fuel in it since Moab. Had less than 1/4 tank and put 14 gallons in...I had 47 miles on the tank...

Drove it 60 miles yesterday, almost all hwy at 55-60 mph...used less than 1/4 tank...

mac 'didn't buy it for the mileage' gyvr
My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
Old January 30th, 2014, 09:51
NAXJA Member #120

Oh yeah

car seats ZJ > XJ > LJ

mac 'car seat in LJ is like a jungle gym' gyvr
My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
Old January 30th, 2014, 10:08
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Re: Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllianaXJ View Post
Take it to a mechanic.
X2

If you can't diagnose a no start because of a bad battery you are already in WAY over your head.
Old January 30th, 2014, 10:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrehautian View Post
Back to the van again. Put a good battery in it (it is used, but correct size unlike the bad one). It ran from my moms house to my house (1/2 mile) and when I was leaving my house, I put it in reverse and it died. I was able to get it into a neighbors drive. It ran okay in park and neutral, but not in forward or reverse. I am now thinking it is a fuel issue (hopefully a filter or moisture in gas).

What have you done to test the alternator? Ockham's razor usually applies 9 times out of ten in dealing with a vehicle. The hypothesis with the least assumption is correct. Right now you have a vehicle that runs well on a new battery and gets worse as you drive it until it doesn't. The alternator bears testing and you can do it yourself with a voltmeter.

Diagnosis is a product of logical elimination....elimination of functioning systems is half the work. If you want it running sooner than later take it to someone, I'm serious. If you can't afford it find a shade tree guy you trust....i only charge friends and family 25 an hour for major work and diagnostic. The time and resources to get good at it are not free, so as much as I'd like to I can't do it for free
Old January 30th, 2014, 10:10
NAXJA Forum User

When I had my TJ I had Case's car seat in the back, I fell out of that damn thing and broke the passenger seat tilt lever off in my hip...still have the scar too. Between that and tearing the belt loop off every pair of my jeans from hopping up in that thing and catching my belt loop on the door striker...I was done.

Cheese "kind of miss it at times though" Man
Old January 30th, 2014, 10:18
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortxjdoug View Post
The time and resources to get good at it are not free, so as much as I'd like to I can't do it for free
this is soo true on many levels....everyone used to come to the shop for the hang out spot and do a few odd ball jobs, then it was hey, lets build custom bumpers if they supply the steel....no one ever thinks of the time and money involved in owning a completly supplied shop, the electricity to run it, the propane to heat it, the thousands of dollars I have in tools, my time away from my family, and importantly the mass amounts of free cheese and beer they were putting down. Needless to say, I dont have the loafers around the shop that I once had, but that really does not bother me now a days. I will still help a friend out or take on special projects, but there is a cost involved in one way, shape or form usually. We all seem to work well with the barter system....and some of them need to work a bit more on the BYOB system!

Cheese "nothings free in this world" Man
Old January 30th, 2014, 10:25
NAXJA Forum User

I know a free shade tree mechanics and tried to get them to come over and non ever did until last weekend. It didn't run, so it couldn't go anywhere. I put my battery from my Jeep in because it looked the same size. When it did the same thing, I didn't think it was the battery. Come to find out, the previous owner or the salvage yard it was bought from put the wrong size in it. It has the right size now. I also thought since my good battery did the same thing, it wasn't the battery. Once it gets running, I have talked to my fiance about possibly buying a better vehicle (this one is not great, but okay) and selling the van (Sarah and I get the money from the van).
Old January 30th, 2014, 10:25
NAXJA Forum User

Well. Sounds like nick86 is going to go drive my jeep and put fuel in it at some point. After much begging I finally got sis to start it, so at least I know it still runs.

She said they are starting work on the barn next week. Redo bathroom, knock down walls, put in stairs to hay loft, take out milk tank, and build me a parts room and counter.

I go to Dan's and drink his beer, eat his pizza, etc. No complaints yet.

Last edited by *89Laredo*; January 30th, 2014 at 10:32.
Old January 30th, 2014, 10:29
NAXJA #1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllianaXJ View Post
Take it to a mechanic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *89Laredo* View Post
X2

If you can't diagnose a no start because of a bad battery you are already in WAY over your head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortxjdoug View Post
What have you done to test the alternator? Ockham's razor usually applies 9 times out of ten in dealing with a vehicle. The hypothesis with the least assumption is correct. Right now you have a vehicle that runs well on a new battery and gets worse as you drive it until it doesn't. The alternator bears testing and you can do it yourself with a voltmeter.

Diagnosis is a product of logical elimination....elimination of functioning systems is half the work. If you want it running sooner than later take it to someone, I'm serious. If you can't afford it find a shade tree guy you trust....i only charge friends and family 25 an hour for major work and diagnostic. The time and resources to get good at it are not free, so as much as I'd like to I can't do it for free
It's like a broken damn record in here.

You seem like a fairly intelligent person TH, but your desire to buck people's advice is the reason you catch so much shit.

Either spend the next day on the internet learning how an automotive charging system works or stop asking for advice. It's annoying when you don't listen.
Old January 30th, 2014, 10:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrehautian View Post
I know a free shade tree mechanics and tried to get them to come over and non ever did until last weekend. It didn't run, so it couldn't go anywhere. I put my battery from my Jeep in because it looked the same size. When it did the same thing, I didn't think it was the battery. Come to find out, the previous owner or the salvage yard it was bought from put the wrong size in it. It has the right size now. I also thought since my good battery did the same thing, it wasn't the battery. Once it gets running, I have talked to my fiance about possibly buying a better vehicle (this one is not great, but okay) and selling the van (Sarah and I get the money from the van).
If you're not paying them they won't come, it doesnt have to be money but everything costs something. If all you've done over all this time to diagnose a shutdown/no start is change batteries a few times nobody here can help you anymore. We're telling you how to do this and you're not listening and coming up with new theories.

Your thought of selling it come from frustration. That is step 10 if that's what you want to do, you are on step 1 which is figuring out why it's not functioning properly