• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another good event...

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
It may take most of the day but I plan to do a full write up on the event, here is the first installment.

SoCal Fest is officially kicked off and it's time to start getting dirty. XFor Saturday I was leading the moderate run up Odessa Canyon, typically this is a fairly easy trail with only a couple of tricky spots for open/open rigs or inexperienced drivers; today it was a bit more difficult than usual.

The day started with news of a major wreck on Interstate 15 Northbound. XBecause of this we chose to delay the start of the trail runs until 10:00 am to give folks time to navigate traffic. XAt 10:00 we had all vehicles at the wash road to Doran and Odessa canyons and got the runs together.

We had three runs planned, one high-moderate run up Doran canyon (bypassing the gatekeeper until the afternoon) lead by Johnny, one moderate Odessa canyon run lead by myself, and one stocker run lead by Stephen; all three runs would meet at the old Bismark mine location for lunch.

After the drivers meeting the Doran group pulled out first. XJeeps kept going and going. XI was rather surprised to see the majority of the group following Johnny. XStephen had a few rigs for his stocker run and it was looking like the Odessa run would just be my father's Jeep and mine.

As we pulled on out we noticed the Doran group already having trouble at the small gatekeeper to the bypass, I called out on the radio inviting anybody to join the Odessa group, Julio and Sean joined up and we ran down the trail to enter Odessa Canyon.

Entering Odessa Canyon, click to enlarge.

Once we got into the canyon I saw that it was a bit more torn up than usual. XI realized that my little Cherokee on 30s was going to get a workout today.

Myself, my father, and Julio, click to enlarge.

My father working to get his open/open Jeep up the trail. XFor the record my much smaller Jeep walked this, click to enlarge.

Julio having no issues with his lockers engaged, click to enlarge.

Sway bar disconnects may be a good investment for this Jeep. XI had to work a bit harder because I kept lifting wheels, click to enlarge.

Sean taking the bearded line, click to enlarge.

At some point Elias and his brother in a ZJ (I'm afraid I've forgotten his name) tagged on to the Odessa group after having a difficult time on Doran. XUnfortunately it just wasn't their day...

Elias accidently overpowered his OEM tie rod, it did not like this, click to enlarge.

Getting the tie rod straight enough to get home, click to enlarge.

At this point Elias and his brother decided to turn back before that tie rod got completely broken, Sean and Julio also decided to head back into camp to grab some lunch. XSince it was just my father and I we called the run, turned around, and started heading back. XIn retrospect this was probably a mistake, I should have continued on.

On the first obstacle I got hung up pretty bad on my rear differential. XFor the second time in my life I had to get a pull, my dad had to tug me back about eighteen inches. XAnother group was heading up the canyon so I pulled out to a clear area and my father tucked into another clear area.

Most of this group seemed to have an okay attitude but a few of them were real asshats. XTake this buggy who wanted to take a more difficult line, no issues other than my dad's Cherokee on the other side of these rocks completely blocked in by other vehicles in the guy's group.

Full frame buggy, you always know you're in for trouble when you see front leafs and rear coilovers, click to enlarge.

The amusing part was the last vehicle in their group, an older guy in a CJ-7, was amazed to see my little Jeep on 30s on that trail. XHe asked three times if I drove it up there.

I ran into a trouble spot a little further down the trail. XI started to drop down a small waterfall but was on a poor line. XWhen the front left dropped down I felt the Jeep get real tippy, I stopped the Jeep before anything really bad happened but I did get a boulder in my quarter panel; if I hadn't felt it going I'm certain I would have had a completely bashed in quarter panel. XI ended up having my dad get push the roof of the Jeep to the passenger side while I backed up to reacquire a better line.

The large boulder at the rear of my Jeep is the one I got friendly with, click to enlarge.

The mark, click to enlarge.

After that there were no more real trouble points. XThere were a few spots that my dad spotted me and I spotted him. XWhen I got to the bottom I was glad to see the damage was minimal, my wife sure would have been unhappy to drive a Jeep with missing glass to work.

Playing in the caves, click to enlarge.

After exiting Odessa Canyon we bumped over to Mule Canyon, a simple graded dirt road, and joined the group for lunch at Bismark.

Lunchtime, kindly ignore the cheerleader Jeeps in the picture, click to enlarge.

After lunch the group broke up with the Doran group going down Odessa, the stocker group going where they went, and my father and I heading back down Mule to go be lazy at camp.

Mule Canyon, click to enlarge.

Mule Canyon, click to enlarge.

All in all it was a really fun day, this was the most difficult trail my son had been on, I think he enjoyed watching the Jeeps drive over the large rocks although he did admit to it being a bit too bouncy inside. XI really wish I had brought the big Jeep though, although then I probably would have ended up lying broken at the gatekeeper of Lower Doran Canyon.

Sequoia

XNice writeup and pics! Xhow far did you guys get up Odessa? XThere were a couple gnarly spots on that one. XI almost thought it was tougher than Doran, or at least there was a higher penalty for failure. X.

Going down a canyon is more difficult than climbing a canyon. I believe we were around halfway but I don't have my nav station here at work.
a few of us went up it the next day. definitely a little easier, but still a couple rough spots for a jeep like yours. i take it you didnt get to the section with the giant ruts and the sections of pavement at the top?

a few of us went up it the next day. definitely a little easier, but still a couple rough spots for a jeep like yours. i take it you didnt get to the section with the giant ruts and the sections of pavement at the top?

Nope. That's usually the hardest part of Odessa.

Nope. That's usually the hardest part of Odessa.
the narrow ledge after it was a little more scary due to the penalty for failure, especially with the wider or topheavy jeeps. there are definitely some soiled seats in the group from that spot.

the narrow ledge after it was a little more scary due to the penalty for failure, especially with the wider or topheavy jeeps. there are definitely some soiled seats in the group from that spot.

Are you referring to the mental pucker point where there is a rusted hulk of a car at the bottom of the ravine to your left (a you're climbing)?

this spot. didnt see any car or parts there though.
1.jpg

A couple years back that spot wasnt so hairy. Guess it's changed a bit. Wish i could have done more wheeling but i still managed to have a good time.

As I left I picked up a couple of items that were left at sight 77/78 (where we had the raffle/meal) One is a pair of flip flops and the other is a neon green plastic flashlight. PM me and I will get them to you.

A couple years back that spot wasnt so hairy. Guess it's changed a bit. Wish i could have done more wheeling but i still managed to have a good time.
i would have to assume it's getting torn up from people going up the side.

Elias accidently overpowered his OEM tie rod, it did not like this, click to enlarge.

Ouch! That sucks... This is when a high lift jack handle comes in real handy!
Looks like a good run. Wishing i would have run up this with the group on Sunday.

That is what we were going to do. The tie rod was bent on two or three planes, we just weren't able to get it straight enough to get the handle on.

Looks like a good run. Wishing i would have run up this with the group on Sunday.

It really was really minor damage. The biggest issue was that I did not pay attention to the line I took. I think I was more concerned with trying to catch up to the group more than with watching the trail. That's the 2nd time that particular rock hung me up. Years ago, I was talking on the CB while trying to go over it. :doh:

I'm determined to run that trail WITHOUT any damage. :banghead:

Thanks for leading the run Sequoia.

E

Back