• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail/Road Closures

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Mother nature is a b*tch!

Taken from NW-Wheelers:
Official Word from the Naches OHV Ranger ( I know him very well)

Clover Way Road/FS1601 is closed

Glass Creek Road/FS 1605 is closed

Bald Mountain Road/FS1701 is open

Rock Creek Road/FS 1702 is closed

Gold Creek Road/FS 1703 is closed

Spring Creek is open

Milk Creek Road/FS 1708 is closed (This the main way to get to the rocks)

Little Naches Road/FS 19 is open although it should have a one lane restriction installed before you get to Kaner Flats campground.

These closed roads can be expected not to open this year. There is a signed order and they are barricaded.

Bald Mountain is still snowed in expect downed trees and storm damage that we have not seen as of yet due to the fact we have been unable to access much of the trail system. Should still be 3 feet of snow at Lilly Pond. The entire ridge still has lots of snow. The report is that there is 200% snow depth for this time of year.

Stay safe and Tread Lightly. The closure that is lifted June 15th was put in place because of trail damage resulting from wet trails. The trails are wetter this year than last.

Also Chinook Pass is not expected to open untill the end of June.

Coming in from the Eberg side is tough due to closures of the access roads over there.
Just got off the phone with the Naches Ranger District. The seasonal closure is still scheduled to lift June 16th. However, if they continue to experience flooding from run off that could change (cross your fingers).

It sounds like there's some serious snow pack still on the trails. I'm going to be looking at the maps tonight. We're going to likely need to change some of the routes.

If anyone hears any updates on road or trail closure please post up!

Re: Trail/Road Closures: Condition report

That sucks.. thats alot of closure, if they dont open it up on the 16th, we need to discuss PLAN B

TSF, Elbe, Evans? Yacult burn? (i'll bring the junk car!)

mother nature has not been kind this year. lets get talking about this and figure out where (if not Naches) everyone wants to go. if we have close to the same number of people as we did last year, Evans Creek would probably be too small. i dont know enough about TSF or Elbe....whats everyone else thinking?

Moab

Seriously though wherever you choose please make sure it's accessable by a diesel pusher. I don't know Naches well enough to to determine if there are enough open trails to keep us occupied. Are there enough open trails?

I have been concerned/expecting this for a little while.

This has a significant effect on several of the access roads we commonly use and it also likely means that some of the other "more difficult" trails will likely be "MUCH more difficult".

In my preliminary opinion we have 3 basic choices:
1. Stick with the place and modify a few trails to the best of our ability before the event.

2. Stick with the place and see if we can spend some of our time rebuilding some of these trails (we would have to talk to the rangers and see if this was possible).

3. I would think TSF would be our best "other" option to try a different location. But we could vote on a different venue if we believe it is a better choice.

Just my preliminary thoughts.

Michael

This has a significant effect on several of the access roads we commonly use and it also likely means that some of the other "more difficult" trails will likely be "MUCH more difficult".

1. Stick with the place and modify a few trails to the best of our ability before the event.

2. Stick with the place and see if we can spend some of our time rebuilding some of these trails (we would have to talk to the rangers and see if this was possible).

3. I would think TSF would be our best "other" option to try a different location. But we could vote on a different venue if we believe it is a better choice.

Michael

Thanks for a good start to the discussion.

I think #2-3 are fabulous ideas with the present information. I have always wanted to check out TSF and upon looking at the trail list there are quite a lot of challenging trails. Before captain obvious shows up, this is coming from a guy who has never been to TSF.

The largest factor if this decision was up to me is that I have had my fill of snow this year. I would rather fix the trails or go somewhere else less snowy.

This is also a larger financial impact to us North-enders. I understand the oregon guys drive to Wa every year (I appreciate this) but a change of venue might be difficult for some to budget for since it is last minute. A positive for TSF is the oregon guys wont get as many tickets this year party1:.

I would say that evans creek is too small for any large group. The campground is small and there isn't a huge amount of trails like naches.
Elbe has an even smaller campground than evans creek and even less trails.

I know this is a wheeling event but it is also a social gathering for the members. We should find a lace with a big enough campground to get everyone together then worry about trails. Tillamook seems big enough. Naches may also still be an option because of its campground and the amount of trails that can still be ran. Having chinook pass closed sucks though for us towing our rigs

I agree with enough snow. I ran tsf in the snow and didn't get to do much so I would be more than willing to head down there again with no snow

We're sticking to the plan of Naches, unless the closure gets extended.

At this point TSF would be a no go. Our event size would swamp Browns Camp Campground, which would mean permit. If you guys want to check out TSF, I'd recommend planning a trip down over the summer.

Like Branden said, it's not all abut the wheeling. It's abut bringing the chapter together. I think either way it's still going to be fun. We'll need to modify the routes a bit, but it'll work out....

I hope.

Last edited:

We're sticking to the plan of Naches, unless the closure gets extended.

At this point TSF would be a no go. Our event size would swamp Browns Camp Campground, which would mean permit. If you guys want to check out TSF, I'd recommend planning a trip down over the summer.

Like Branden said, it's not all abut the wheeling. It's abut bringing the chapter together. I think either way it's still going to be fun. We'll need to modify the routes a bit, but it'll work out....

I hope.

dont you need a permit at naches also? thought the PNWJEEP crew ran into this last year. could be wrong.

Michael

Agreed. Very good thoughts, to see if we could spend our time and "give back" a little by rebuilding some of the problem areas (if accessible) is a great idea. Fun will be had by all that attend even if some of the trails are still closed.
I like the idea of TSF, I have always wanted to check it out. Finding a campground big enough to support a large group is important.

If too much of the percentage of the trails are closed at Naches and we find ourselfs running alot of the lower trails over and over we could always consider a trip to rimrock one of the days. Its a 1 hour drive from little naches. Just a thought. I just hate running the same trails over and over.

If too much of the percentage of the trails are closed at Naches and we find ourselfs running alot of the lower trails over and over we could always consider a trip to rimrock one of the days. Its a 1 hour drive from little naches. Just a thought. I just hate running the same trails over and over.
OUT! your jeep that got hit by a semi, STILL looked better then the jeep you took to rimrock!:anon:

Lol. Thats funny but the blue jeep ended up like that from Elbe and the busy wild. Not rimrock. I don't know why everyone thinks rimrock is so bad.

Oh boy...

I'd really hate to make the trip to Naches to find I can't even wheel that much. So long as I can get to the rocks and they aren't covered in snow I'll be happy. This may be a chapter gathering to socialize, but I don't have a ton of money/time to make trips that don't involve some much needed wheeling too.

Fingers crossed.

Back