• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WinterFest 2011 - SEC perspective

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I thought I would post about my experiences as an outsider that decided to come out and see what WinterFest was all about. The MWC guys who attended the 2010 Cherokee Crawl were sure to make it obvious we were welcome at WinterFest. Sooooo......we had see see what the talk was all about.

Our trip started off rough. We left Thursday after work and after messing with the pop-up lighting. We made it work and took off in my 1988 XJ and headed 8 hours north west to Attica, IN. Thanks to my co-pilot Mark (High2by) for driving the entire way.

We rolled in at 4:30am Friday morning and it rained exactly the amount of time it took to set the camper up. Finally got in bed for about 2 hours of sleep.

Went to the bath house and found BrianHO and SeanR. Got directions to the local IGA for food and gas. Got back and got to tech at 9:45am. Yeah we were later than we wanted to be. 87manche teched us in and we knocked out registration without a hiccup. You guys did a great job on tech and it flowed really well. We plan to copy this for the Crawl.

Driver meeting was informative. CB channels were given out. With the blind hills, we soon realized why we were to call out of the "all clear". The cool thing about this was we learned the names of those in the group rather fast.

We got in Rev Den's green and white ride on Friday. We fell in line with GoSlowGetStuck and Neal (in the super Nissan), since we met them at the Crawl. Our group moved along really well and by the afternoon, we had a lot of fun.

Saturday we again hooked up with Rev and ran orange trails. Even more fun than the day before. We had a great time at the quarry at the wedding and then wheeling the afternoon away.

The Badlands is definately a cool place. The "dunes" were fun with the high speed whoops. The quarry was F-U-N. Everything is as hard or easy as you want it. Whether the rocks were wet or dry, we could still do almost every obsticle. I will say the Badlands is perfect for a mildly built rig such as mine and it is the kind of terrain I enjoy.

The weather is what it is. We expected rain and even got some snow. But the weather didn't hamper the wheeling experience.

Mark and I just about overslep for the potluck. We showed up late and ate some great food. People were hospitable and we had a great time. The bonfire was fun until it started pouring rain. Not being prepaired with rain gear, we headed back to the camper.

At the dinner I was never so happy to see a warm, homestyle meal. After eating bolona sandwiches and pop tarts, a hot meal was very welcome (especially since the temps outside had dropped and it was snowing). I enjoyed the meal and liked being in a dry VFW hall.

We were freezing and tired Saturday night so we packed it in early.

My job as chapter president is to put on the Cherokee Crawl. As somebody who is part of the team that has to plan an execute an event and know what all it takes to make an event work, you guys did a great job. It isn't easy to make everything come off without a hitch and from my perspective you guys did a damn fine job. I used last years WF bi#$tch thread to help make the SEC event better. Was it perfect, nope. It takes a lot of hard work by dedicated individuals to pull it off. What you can't account for is breakdowns, stucks, people being late etc. You can't control it all, you just do the best you can.

I'm sure I forgot a lot of stuff to mention. The MWC should be proud of WinterFest. I had a great time. I sure enjoyed see all of the familiar faces from the 2010 Crawl again. Even yours, Flex. JK.

Hmmmm, what do I have going on in March next year?

PS: I missed my 12 year wedding anniversary to attend. Wife gave me permission.

What no mention of me?! :D I'm so glad you guys trekked up here to my neck of the woods for one hell of a time. Can't wait to see y'all at the crawl!

I'm sure I forgot a lot of stuff to mention. The MWC should be proud of WinterFest. I had a great time. I sure enjoyed see all of the familiar faces from the 2010 Crawl again. Even yours, Flex. JK.

I mentioned you.

Ed, it was great to meet you and Mark and thank you both for making the haul out to attend the event. As you know and can appreciate, there is so much work that goes into an event like this. I hope that you guys enjoyed the event and liked what you saw. I am making plans to try and attend the Crawl this year if all my planting is done in time. Thanks again for making the trip out.

Cheeseman

Hobag, will ya help me fix my junk w/ it breaks out there??? My kryptonite D30 may meet its match out there w/ 36's aired down to 8psi :D

I am really wanting to make the trip and actually do have the vacation time saved up to do it, so if mother nature is good to me I can most likely make it. :thumbup:

Hobag, will ya help me fix my junk w/ it breaks out there??? My kryptonite D30 may meet its match out there w/ 36's aired down to 8psi :D

I am really wanting to make the trip and actually do have the vacation time saved up to do it, so if mother nature is good to me I can most likely make it. :thumbup:

Ha, nope we'll leave you on the trail! I'm sure Nick will be running with that group in his rolling Napa Store.

Hope you can make it dude! :cheers:

I will only help if you let me use the sawzall first.:D OF COARSE YOU KNOW I WILL DO WHAT I CAN.

I knwo man, I was just ribbin ya (for your pleasure ;) ) I am thinkiing about some axle work before then, but time and $$$ will tell. I am talking w/ Dustin and I thing we may piggyback on his 2 pace out there if he can get off work.

Seconded

It won't break, mine lived through lions den.
I knwo man, I was just ribbin ya (for your pleasure ;) ) I am thinkiing about some axle work before then, but time and $$$ will tell. I am talking w/ Dustin and I thing we may piggyback on his 2 pace out there if he can get off work.

I will have my very own trailer by the crawl.

87 "Harlan talked my wife into it" Manche

Glad you gents had a good time! I wish I could've talked to you longer, but I was cold in my shower shoes and clothes...glad my group didn't scare you off at the banquet :)

One of these years I'd like to make the Crawl, unfortunately getting time off work around July 4th is near impossible unless you have 15 years or more on...I have 6...

mac 'i always look every year tho' gyvr

They pretty much told me time off in July will be non-existant...my priority is the UMC Weekend at the Badlands on the 23rd of July...I have no idea yet how I'm getting that off...

If anything else opens up and I can afford fuel I'll certainly look at it.

mac 'its my time, but i can't always use it' gyvr

They pretty much told me time off in July will be non-existant...my priority is the UMC Weekend at the Badlands on the 23rd of July...I have no idea yet how I'm getting that off...

If anything else opens up and I can afford fuel I'll certainly look at it.

mac 'its my time, but i can't always use it' gyvr

We're going to have to have a Mac and Wheeler Harlan trip.

Yes.

P 'mac has a lot of time, no matter when he can use it' Main

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

if Wheeler towed to my house and we split the two place down to harlan...it almost sounds affordable...

mac 'but to find the time to do it...anyone got days off during the week?' gyvr

Back