• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Requirements, PLAN NOW

Rev Den

NAXJA Forum User
As per the NAXJA-MWC Bylaws, these are the requirements to run at WF:

All vehicles must have the following equipment to attend the off road portion of NAXJA MWC sponsored events:

• Legally required automobile insurance and registration;
• Visibly charged Fire extinguisher;
• First Aid Kit;
• Tow strap (no metal hooks allowed);
• Safety belts anchored to factory mounts or vehicle frame;
• Spare tire, jack, and lug wrench;
• Adequate tow points both front and rear, properly attached. NO welded hooks allowed.
• CB Radio

In the past, there may have been a certain "relaxed" attitude concerning tech, that is no longer the case. There will be dedicated tech people to inspect each and every rig BEFORE you will be allowed to check-in.

These are the rules, discussion is not required, questions as always are welcome.

Rev

Last edited by a moderator:
In gigantic font to avoid confusion..........

I don't know if this is exactly the right time to be asking, but it just popped in my head. I know its pretty common sense, but even I'm guilty of leaving my tools, fire extinguisher, etc. just laying around in the cargo area. Should we plan on having to have everything secured properly (even if that means under the back seat or something) in the future?

I don't know if this is exactly the right time to be asking, but it just popped in my head. I know its pretty common sense, but even I'm guilty of leaving my tools, fire extinguisher, etc. just laying around in the cargo area. Should we plan on having to have everything secured properly (even if that means under the back seat or something) in the future?

Good thinking Josh, I know of a guy who's spare axleshaft came loose when he flopped and hit him in the head. From what I hear it looked like someone got murdered in his Jeep.

That sounds like a good idea, bt I'm not digging through all of someones Jeep to make sure that everything is secured properly. At some point people are going to have to be responsible for their own safety. I say we leave the tech inspections at what is required by the insurance and recovery requirements. If we start to deviate from the hard and fast guidelines we're going to get into subjective opinions on what "properly secured" is, and then end up in a quagmire just like last year.

Just my 2 cents on that.

Regarding tech, who's in charge? Seems like it would be wise for all the people doing tech to get together, come up with an inspection checklist that can be followed by everyone, we can make the checklist public so people can make sure they pass.

I am in charge.

there will be a checklist and the folkes doing tech will know what we are looking at, and why.

As far as securing cargo.......yup....common sense rules there.

Rev

Rev

Yep. I almost didn't strap down my toolbox Saturday at Redbird since I didn't think we would do anything terribly tough (DNR event). There was a downhill dropoff that would have sent the toolbox through the windshield had I not secured it.

Remember kids, safety third.

I am in charge.

there will be a checklist and the folkes doing tech will know what we are looking at, and why.

Rev

Would it be wise to let the Leader/Gunner go over the vehicles in their group before we head out? Just a thought since the subject came up.

If you want to have any chance of rebuilding the rig, strap your fire extinguisher down within reach of the driver's seat. And get a big one, not the little recreational ones.

The back of the center console would be a good spot.

Every single split second counts when you realize your rig is on fire. It takes very little for a very small fire to become a write-off, to say nothing of managing to get the remains home/off the trail.

Although I understand how it's all common sense and yeah, I too don't want to be rooting through someone's cargo space looking for an item not being secured properly by debate. But, I do think that we could at least make sure there isn't something obvious laying around. As much common sense as it is, it gets overlooked and I don't really want to be bandaging up someones head because they hit something wrong and have a breaker bar konk 'em in the noggin.

I agree with Nate and that we will all need to get together and go over everything regarding the checklist. Rev is directly in charge of this but we will get together to make sure we all understand and interpret it all the same. We will move this discussion over to MWXJ in the WF Planning section for further discussion.

as for the extinguisher being visible, will the pass side of the trans tunnel in the cab be ok? If not I need to move mine. Thanks
That is where I have mine. As long as you can get your hand on it without taking your seatbelt or harness off I don't see a problem.

Oh, and practice removing it from the mount quickly... if you can't get it in your hands within seconds, it is worthless.

Make sure it won't get buried under stuff if you roll and things get thrown around (they shouldn't get thrown around, really.)

But then again I'm not a tech inspector.

Back