• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Fest 2015 information

I'm new to NAXJA. But this sounds like a fun event. Does anyone bring wives to these events?

Yes as Bruce mentioned we are a very family friendly group. Usually a good number of kids and a few gf/wife.

One thing to remember is this area is at a pretty high altitude. I am debating taking the kids, my wife chooses to stay away from the trips where all I talk about is jeeps...

Just keep that in mind if driving straight to the swamp lake run. Camp there is at about 10,000 feet and it is best to come early to the main camp, a day or two, to acclimate. Altitude sickness won't hit all and everyone is different but when it hits it sucks for a while.

One trick I learned for an old mountaineer is to start taking asprine at regular intervals before heading up. Then when a headache starts hit it with two ibuprofen. Worked like a champ for me last time I was up in the higher elevations.

I'm new to NAXJA. But this sounds like a fun event. Does anyone bring wives to these events?

Yes, I usually take my wife and she has a good time. She is coming again this year too. :kissyou:

Where is Saturday's dinner going to be, exactly and what are the camping arrangements I must make? I'll probably be heading over from Sequoia and/or Kings Canyon National Park. I won't be with you on Swamp Lake because, while it would be fun, I don't think it would be smart to attack it with 30" tires.

PS - Answer wisely. I'll have a trailer full of your raffle prizes! :eyes:

Just looked on my USGS quad map, Grouse Lake is 9,100 feet and change. Doesn't have the exact number, just looking at contour lines. The mountain top behind it is 9,814. Swamp Lake is 9,034.

Just looked on my USGS quad map, Grouse Lake is 9,100 feet and change. Doesn't have the exact number, just looking at contour lines. The mountain top behind it is 9,814. Swamp Lake is 9,034.

Yeah the lake is up there. I know your from the area but I hope everyone is prepared for altitude sickness just in case. I always have a big bottle of asprine

Where is Saturday's dinner going to be, exactly and what are the camping arrangements I must make? I'll probably be heading over from Sequoia and/or Kings Canyon National Park. I won't be with you on Swamp Lake because, while it would be fun, I don't think it would be smart to attack it with 30" tires.

PS - Answer wisely. I'll have a trailer full of your raffle prizes! :eyes:

The BBQ location will be NEAR Dinkey Creek Rd, and McKinley Grove Rd. It will be accessible by paved roads and maybe a nicely graded dirt road. There will be room for campers, motor homes, and whatever else you have to bring along. It is free camping, no reservations or fees will be collected. The final/actual location will be determined during our scout run in a few weeks and detailed directions will be posted.

Back