• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat Iron Mesa 10-09-13

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
10 minutes South of Moab, while still on the highway, the call came over the radio that a u-joint cap just ricocheted off of their windshield..........Mike's rig was down with a trashed pinion yoke before we even hit the trailhead!

We split the group and XJess led half the rigs on Flat Iron Mesa, while the other half went back to assist Mike.

A quick call to M4O by Russ from Moab Outfitters would secure a new yoke, to be overnighted into Moab the following morning. Richard pulled the rear shaft and we stashed Mike's rig and he hopped in with me for the day.

Back to the trailhead:

IMG_4334_zpsabf9e756.jpg

IMG_4341_zps0632e966.jpg

IMG_4351_zps4df1df3d.jpg

We caught the other half of our group at an optional obstacle named The Chute, which turned out to be a bit of a challenge. I didn't witness the Bloose V-8 induced wheelstand, but hear it was impressive. Most of the rigs took a tug over the top, but a few found that getting cozy with the tree on the right allow you to climb it unassisted.

IMG_4364_zpscad979c1.jpg

IMG_4402_zps195d765a.jpg

IMG_4404_zps6bf706dd.jpg

IMG_4407_zps8f6aed20.jpg

IMG_4375_zps2021c87d.jpg

IMG_4419_zpsd9f689d1.jpg

IMG_4420_zps93614430.jpg

We proceeded to the Hatch Wash overlook where we stopped for a late lunch break and some photos.

IMG_4425_zpsd8eaae54.jpg

IMG_4426_zps11a9e340.jpg

IMG_4428_zps99af7d3e.jpg

IMG_4432_zps5a44070f.jpg

IMG_4434_zpscf34cae9.jpg

I'm not sure what Richard was planning here......but we talked him off the ledge.

IMG_4435_zpsc6ebb2d0.jpg

XJess was pressed for time so he kept going with half of the group, moving towards the Intimidator and Easter Egg Rock obstacles. I hear they had lots of fun there.....especially Bloose. Perhaps we'll see some of their photos show up here.

Our part of the group never made it that far, as Jeremy lost his steering box bolts about 10 min past our lunch stop. 1 broken bolt, 2 partially stripped holes. Between all of the spare hardware we had on hand, we came up with 1 bolt and nut that would fit, so he bolted the box on with 1 bolt/nut and 1 "kinda snug" bolt and we decided as a group to take one of the many bypass trails back to the county road. Jeremy nursed his rig back to town and scored a new steering box, we dropped Mike's rig at M4O to await the install of the new rear pinion yoke and headed for some grub.

I'm looking forward to running Flat Iron Mesa again soon, in full.

That was a great run. amazing scenery with some fun obstacles. Sorry for holding up the group with my broken steering box bolts. Guessing i overtightened the bolts stripping 2 of them. Thanks to Richard for bringing me a new box!

Jeff, got a link to your PSM run pics?

Back