• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weather stripping

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to use weather stripping from a parts store for a cherokee door seal? My 97 leaks on the passenger side front door right above the arm rest at the top of the door. I don't see any wholes or cracks so I assume it just doesn't have as snug a fit.

There are distributors out there that have hundreds (or thousands) of various extrusions and weatherstrip sizes for everything from Automotive to refrigerator doors.

Up here I frequently use a place called Spaenaur for fasteners, trim pieces, door seals, hardware, you name it. If you're looking for an oddball bit to finish a job, they probably have it.

Would it be possible to add an extension to the stripping already on the Jeep? If so, would I just glue it on with a strong adhesive?

After a while an old seal will deform just from the pressure of the door when it's closed and from being slammed shut day after day. The seal will start to match the shape of the door. Then later down the road if the door has ever been taken off or the hinges sagged it no longer matches the seal.

Make sure the door fits properly and nothing is bent then replace the seal with a new oem style replacement.

Doors seals from a ZJ are said to be thicker and work great. And you can get them easily at the junk yards. I need to do the same on one of my 89's.

I just purchased the front and rear seals that are the oem style replacements from Team Cherokee, and they do not seat properly on the u groove, being the replacement is too tall and inflexible at the u-groove rubber part, in addition to the foam being the wrong size. I've shipped them back at my expense and opted for the OEM replacement. I was assured that the restocking fee wouldn't apply since the oem style seals didn't fit properly, and I ok'd the difference plus shipping be charged. I've since been charged some sort of restocking fee, plus an exorbitant shipping cost. When I shipped four seals back through USPS it cost me a little over 15 dollars. Team Cherokee charges nearly ten dollars more than that. After my experience I have to say avoid Team Cherokee at all cost. There are cheaper places to get seals out there to get seals that will not be such a hassle either.

Back